Chapter 12

I wake up early the next day, and I feel the need to run. I haven't gone on a run since Florida, so I think it's about time to get back into the old habits.

I go into my closet, I grab some exercise leggings, and a tank. I throw everything on, tie my hair up in a ponytail, and throw on my new gym shoes. I do some quick stretches, and then I decide to head out.

I open the door instantly feeling the crisp air fan my face. I am starting to enjoy this cool weather. Back home, it was hot pretty much all the time. I put my phone in the pocket of my pants, then I begin to jog.

I jog around the neighborhood. I don't want to go too far, so I don't get lost. A few houses down I see an opening for a nature path. I decide to turn down it, mainly because the trees are starting to turn bright yellows and oranges. I smile, as I continue on my run, focusing on my breath. In. Out. In. Out. I think to myself as I run through the crunching leaves.

I slow my pace as I hear crunches of leaves coming a little ways from my left. They stop. I shrug, continuing on my run. It was probably just a gust of wind or a squirrel.

I continue running, until I hear it again. But it sounds closer. This time, I don't stop and observe. I quickly make a u-turn and sprint out of the forest. Getting eaten by a bear is not on my to-do list, thank you very much. In a few minutes, I make it to the residential area, and not long after, I'm in the house. I shut the door and slide down.

Maybe running won't be my hobby here.

~*~*~

"Ready, Jayden?" Ethan asks, grabbing his car keys from the counter.

"Uh," I say as I frantically gather all my belongings and throw them into my bag, "Yeah, be there in a sec."

"Okay," Ethan chuckles.

I grab my poptart from the toaster, and head out into Ethan's car.

I open the door, greeted with a blast of hardcore rap. I'm not a hardcore rap kind of gal. I give him a forced smile, before plopping in the seat.

I enjoy my poptart, as I stare out the window. The school gradually gets closer, and I notice some of my classmates.

Oh no. I completely forgot about the party. Everyone will remember. They'll all give me looks. Hell, they may even be a bully about it. Madeline sure was.

We park, and I get out. I brace myself for the stares. I throw my backpack over my shoulders and I head into the building.

I open the doors, and people saw me. They didn't care. They looked back at what they were doing, not caring about my presence at all. I continue to walk down the hall, and everyone was minding their own business. Since when do high schoolers mind their own business?

But, hey. I'm not complaining. I'm actually grateful.

I see Chase at his locker by some of his friends, and I give him a small smile. He sees me, and immediately excuses himself from his group.

"Hey, Jayden. How are you feeling?" Chase asked, concern laced in his eyes.

"I'm doing quite well actually. Thank you," I said graciously.

"For asking?" Chase asked with a weird expression.

"No, for helping me out. And look, nobody is paying attention to me!" I throw him a big grin, before looking around. People are looking at me, "wait, no no no no."

Chase chuckles. "It's not what you think it's about."

I narrow my eyes, "What do I think it's about?"

He raises his eyebrows, before he leans in and whispers in my ear, "the video." His hot breath fanned my ear as my cheek turned slightly pink.

"It's not about that?" I ask.

"Correct," Chase smiles, leaning against the locker.

"Then what's it about?" I ask, confusion taking over me. Why else would people stare at me? I was literally new last week. I'm old news now.

"That's for me to know, and for you to find out, gumdrop," he smirks.

"What? You're not allowed to do that!" I exclaim.

Chase chuckles, ruffing my hair, before starting to walk away.

"Hey! Or that!" I shout at him.

He turns around in the hall, "see you in math class." I sent him a glare before he turned back around.

~*~*~

"So, class. Today I will be assign pairs to work on the analyzing movies project. You will have today in class to work on it, but the rest will be on your own. I strongly recommend meeting up with your partner outside of school. This is due next Friday." The teacher said as I shuddered.

I hate assigned partners. My only hope is I'll be paired with Noah. He's literally the only person I actually know and like in here.

"The partners are, Katie and Becca, Lily and Matt, Ryan and Cody, Noah and. . ."

Please be me, please be me!

"Tyler," Shoot! Noah sent me a sad look as Tyler came to sit by him. Oh well.

I tuned back in to the teacher, "and Jayden." Crap! Who was with me? I didn't hear. Noah widened his eyes and looked over at me. I sent him a confused glance, until I saw Lucas make his way towards me, and he sits down in the empty desk next to me.

"Howdy, partner," Lucas smirked, as he saw me squirm.

"Okay," was the only word I could get out. I look back to the teacher, who was still reading off names.

What are the odds? Literally tell me. The same odds I could've been with Noah, but I had to be with the one guy I dreaded. Ugh.

"Our last group is Maya and Hazel. Okay, kids. Get to work!" The teacher said.

"Alright, Jayden. This'll be fun." Lucas smiled at me.

"Oh yeah, it'll be something," I smile back politely.