Chapter 38

"One more stop," Chase says as we sit in the car.

"What?" I scrunch my eyebrows together in confusion.

"Yes," Chase comments as he gives the address to the driver.

He nods and begins to drive in a random direction.

"We will we still make the plane?"

"Of course," Chase smiles, as he puts his hand on my knee.

~*~*~

My heart picks up the pace when I see the sign as the car parks.

"The cemetery?" I stutter out, as I feel my eyes well with tears.

"Yeah, so you can say goodbye before we leave." Chase says, as he holds my hand.

"Chase," I say as I pout and tears prickle my eyes. That was so sweet, and it was honestly what I believed I needed. I feel crummy enough that I couldn't say goodbye when I was holding their hands.

"You don't have to if you're not comfortable," Chase says as he hugs me.

"No, I really want to. It was just what I needed," I pull away and smile. I wipe my tears before getting out of the car.

This cemetery doesn't hold any services, so my parents were put into the ground alone. Well, I guess they had each other. But anyway, the gravedigger gave me the row and area letter that my parents are buried. I quickly pull out the card, and walk into cemetery. It gives me an eerie feeling, but I push through it, trying to locate my parents.

After a few minutes of walking, I notice the two rectangular newly dug up ground. I run towards it and see the beautiful gravestones.

Here lies Charles T. Riley

January 27th 1974 – September 5th 2019

A loving husband, father, son, and brother.

"Dad," I whisper as I run my fingers over the lettering on the granite headstone.

Here lies Sarah J. Riley

May 17th 1974 – September 5th 2019

A loving wife, mother, daughter, and sister.

"Momma," I whisper as I run my fingers over the lettering on her headstone.

I sit in between the two graves, and I wrap my arms around my legs.

"I'm back, Chase brought me here because I wasn't able to say goodbye. I'm here now, but I am going back to Pennsylvania after I'm done. Dad, don't worry. Chase did the gardening for Mrs. Winters, and he hired another person to keep doing it. We showed her how to use skype, so we can talk whenever now." I smile.

"And mom, at the funeral I talked to so many of your patients and I saw some of the kids you helped deliver. They were all so thankful," I smile as a single tear fell down my cheek.

"I miss you two so much, but I have to go soon," I whisper. I hear footsteps coming towards me so I whip my head in that direction. I see Chase approaching me with two bouquets of flowers.

"Hey, everyone," Chase said as he came over by me, and squatted down.

"Hi, Chase," I smile as I see the flowers.

"I brought these for your parents," Chase said as he pushed them into my arms.

"When? I was literally here for like 5 minutes."

"I had the driver go over while we were with Mrs. Winters," Chase said as he rubbed my back.

"Thank you so much," I say as I smell the flowers. I smile.

"It's not a problem," Chase smiles, and kisses my forehead.

I shake my head at his kindness before I place the flowers at the top of each of my parents' grave.

I stand up and wipe any dirt off my pants, "Goodbye momma, goodbye dad. I will always miss you, but you will forever be in my heart and memories." I say as I wipe a small tear. I don't feel despair though, I don't feel what I felt at the funeral. Instead of feeling cold and empty, my chest somehow has a warm feeling to it. It almost feels like they are with me.

I give them one last look before I start to head back to the car.

"Not so fast," Chase says as he grabs my arm. I shoot him a confused look. He pulls out his phone and hits a button. I instantly feel tears rim my eyes as the familiar music rings in my ears.

Stairway to the Stars.

"I thought we should give your parents their last dance, and we could have our first," Chase says as he holds out his hand for me to take.

"Chase," I cry, overwhelmed with emotion.

"You said you could only dream of the love your parents had. Well, maybe I can make that dream come true." Chase said as he takes a step closer.

"Chase?" I gasp, as I remember what Mrs. Winters said earlier.

"I love you, gumdrop," Chase said, taking my hands in his.

My eyes prickle with tears as my heart beats faster, "I love you too," I say honestly as a huge smile makes its way to his face.

He wraps his arms around my waist as I move my hands to around his neck. He seals the distance with a small kiss. It was short, yet it held the power that made my knees weak. He pulls away as I lean into his chest. He whispers to me, "as much as I would love to continue that, I don't think your parents want to watch it."

I laugh as we begin to dance beside my parents with nothing but pure love and joy in the air.

I smile as I realize I am finally content. Of course I will always ache for my parents, I will always wish they were with me, but I am blessed to have lived with them. I am blessed to be their daughter, and I'm so proud of it. I might never move on from my parents' passing, but I will move forward.

My parents always taught me lessons that would last me a lifetime. For example, they taught me how to be selfless. If we found a dollar on the ground we would give it to somebody homeless or as a tip at a small business. Someone always needs it more than we did, even if we didn't have much ourselves.

But, I believe I just learned the best lesson my parents could teach me. Live your life to the fullest. Do things that make you smile. Do things that you would never dream of doing. Because you never know what the future holds. My parents' journey was cut short, and I know if they could tell me one more thing it would be to live everyday as if it were your last.

THE END