Chapter 29

I smile at the nurse who unwraps my bandages around my stomach. It's been almost been two weeks since the event, and about 3 days after I woke up. It's been a crazy couple of days. I've had several visits from the police, my friends, and Kate. Chase or Ethan are always by my side, even when I insist they go to school.

"How does it look, Pam?" I ask the nurse.

"It looks great. Small bruising around the stitching, and the swelling has gone down a lot," Pam says as she rubs something onto it.

"Great!" I say as I grin sitting up, feeling a sharp pain.

"Woah, woah," Pam says as she holds my shoulders down, "not too much speed, you don't want to hurt yourself."

"Too late," I groan laying back down. "How much longer?"

"Usually with injuries like yours, it takes about two weeks to be discharged. Your injury is looking pretty clean right now, and your vitals are normal. You may be out pretty soon. I'll get your doctor," Pam says, as she scurries out of the room.

Soon after, Dr. Paul comes in with a smile on his face. "All alone in here today?" He says putting on his glasses. He looks down on his clipboard as he shuffles some papers.

"No, Chase is in the cafeteria getting us some food," I answer, looking at him expectantly.

"Got it. So, Pam tells me someone is eager to leave?" He says, looking up at me.

"Yeah," I chuckle.

"Let's take a look here," Dr. Paul says as he touches my wound. "Does it hurt when I press it?"

"Uh, not really. It just feels like your pressing a bruise. It really just hurts when I sit up on my own." I say honestly.

"Okay," he replies, writing things down on his paper. "So, that's normal, and it will be sore for at least a month."

I nod, as Chase enters with a tray of food, "oh hey, doc."

"Hi, Chase," he greets, "perfect timing. I was just about to tell Jayden the great news."

"Oh really? Do share," Chase says, sitting on a chair by my side.

The doctor turns to me, "your injury is healing very well, and you are showing no negative symptoms."

"So does that mean. . ." I trail off, I don't want to get my hopes up.

"By the looks of it, you can be discharged tomorrow, but I would need to speak to your primary caregiver." The doctor says as I clap my hands and squeal.

"That's awesome!" Chase says, as he bounces in his chair.

"Yeah, I will make sure to send pain medications home with you, and I will go over them with you tomorrow with your caregiver. Also, I will need to show them how to care for your wound, and you'll need to come for checkups weekly."

"Do you mind showing me how to care for it?" Chase asks, holding my hand.

"I'd be happy to," Dr. Paul says, putting down his clipboard. He picks up a container that was by my bedside. "Pam already put this on, but you need to put a bit of it over the injury to help prevent infection, and to keep swelling and bruising at a minimum." Chase nodded in understanding.

"I am not going have her wrapped anymore, instead we are going to do this. You just have to take some gauze," the doctor says, showing Chase the amount in his hand, "Put it on the wound like so." The doctor proceeds to put it on my injury. "Be gentle so you don't hurt her," Chase nods, focused on Dr. Paul. "Then take this bandage, and cut it with about an inch over each side of the gauze." He cuts the bandage.

"Okay," Chase mumbles.

"Now, carefully push it on her. Start from one end and push the tape to stick to her skin. Take it all the way down, past the sides," Dr.Paul says, running his fingers on the side of the gauze, over the bandage. "Make sure it sticks and that there are no air pockets." He said, finishing off the bandage job.

"Okay, that doesn't seem too bad." Chase says, looking at the bandage.

"Nope, just make sure it gets changed every morning and evening, or if it gets wet, you must change it again." Dr. Paul says as he picked up his clipboard again.

"Okay, I got it." Chase said with a smile.

"Good, well I'll leave you two with your food," he smiles before exiting.

Chase grins to me, "you get to leave!" he cheers.

"I know, I've only be awake here for a few days and I can't wait to go," I grin, resting back on my pillows.

"Are you feeling okay? Have you gotten to think about it?" Chase asks, concern lacing his features.

I sigh, "I don't know. I don't wanna sound crazy, but I talked to my parents,"

"What?" Chase asks, confusion filling his features.

"While I was out, all I remember were my parents with teary eyes, yet they seemed so happy. My mom told me to 'go back'. And then I was awake, well kind of. That was when I felt you squeeze my hand. I know I was out for a week or so, but it only felt like a few seconds," I say. It's crazy how much time passed around me, while it seemed like none passed to me.

"Wow, that's pretty crazy," Chase says.

"Yeah, I don't know if I made it up, or if it was really them," I sigh, shutting my eyes.

"I don't know, I mean I've heard stories though about people seeing their loved ones that have passed while in a coma," Chase adds, putting a tray of food on my lap.

I open my eyes to be met with my favorite food, a nice bacon cheeseburger. "Yay!" I clap.

"I knew you needed a little treat, not that gross soup." Chase shudders.

"It's not that bad," I think back to yesterday when we had the clam chowder. It was kind of cold, yet warm, and it kind of looked like vomit.

"Sure, sure, I'll make sure to get you a bowl later," He says unwrapping his burger.

"I don't think that's needed," I smile politely.

"I knew you hated it!" Chase laughs.

"Now, now, Chase. Hate is a strong word," I say shaking my head.

"Sorry, gumdrop," Chase said, before trying again, "I knew you strongly disliked it."

"There we go, much better." I smile taking a bite out of my burger.