Chapter 28

Jayden's POV:

I suddenly feel a hand grasp mine. Chase. I slowly wrap my fingers around his hand, and I hear him lightly gasp.

"Gumdrop?" Chase asks as he gives my hand a squeeze. My eyes are too heavy to open, and my mouth can't seem to move either.

"Is she awake?" I hear Ethan ask.

"I don't know, she just squeezed my hand, press the blue button," Chase said, talking quickly to Ethan.

I hear some new footsteps coming into my room.

"How can I help you guys?" A lady asked.

"The doctor said she was in a coma and I am positive she squeezed my hand." Chase says, still holding onto my hand.

A coma? Oh man, how long was I out? The last thing I remember was the attack. The same guy who killed my parents tried to kill me. And he almost did.

"Her heartbeat just began to pick up pace," the lady said. "She is coming out of it, I will get her doctor."

"Hi, Jayden," I hear Ethan say to me, as he holds my other hand. I wrap my fingers around his hand as well. "Holy shit!" He exclaimed.

"What?" Chase asked.

"She did it to me too!" Ethan exclaimed. I lightly squeeze both of their hands just to mess with them. I hear them both giggle like little kids.

I felt a smile make its way to my face at their reaction. Hey, my mouth is working now, too!

"Look!" Chase exclaimed, "She is smiling!"

"Fuck yeah," Ethan said as I felt him let go of my hand. "I'm calling my parents."

"Okay," Chase says. "Hey Gumdrop, you've been out for just over a week, Beth and John wanted to stay, but they had to go back to work yesterday. They come back every night though. And Kate misses you too, she's at school and stays at the sitter's house. Ethan and I have been here pretty much 24/7. Oh, and your friends came by yesterday for a little bit, they dropped off some goodies. I may or may not have stolen some." Chase laughed.

I mentally thank him for filling me in on everything, and awh, he stayed with me. But it hit me. He stole my treats!

"Meanie," I croak out. Hey! Now my voice is working too!

He gasps, "Ethan! She is talking! I promise I'll buy you what I ate and so much more when we are out of here." Chase laughed.

"Good," I whisper.

"Welcome back, Jayden," a new voice greeted.

"That's your doctor," Chase whispered.

"I'm doctor Paul. I'm just going to do a few tests on you to see your mental awareness." He said as I heard his voice approach me.

"Okay," I whisper.

"I see you are talking now too. That is a great sign." Doctor Paul says. "I'm sorry, Chase. I need to get around here."

"Oh, sorry." Chase mumbles before I feel him unlatch our hands. I didn't even realize we were still holding hands.

He checks my reflexes by hitting an object on my knees and elbows. Then he asks me to grab a few things that he places in my hands and to get me to bend my legs and such.

"One more test for now," he says and I mumble an okay. "Close the blinds and turn off the lights, please." The doctor asks. A few seconds later, I see a very bright light flash into my eyes, causing me to squeeze them shut as hard as I can. "All done," he says. I unsqueeze my eyes, and end up opening them, to be met with a moderately dark room.

"Hi there, I'm your doctor." I see the silhouette of a man reaching his hand out for me to grab. I shake his hand in return.

"Her eyes are open!" Chase exclaims as he hops in front of me.

"What?" Ethan said as I see him pop up in front of me too.

"Okay guys. Please keep the lights off and the blinds shut for her. I will be back to check more things in a few hours. I know it's great that she's awake. But please. Let her rest. What she did in the past 10 minutes is a lot for her right now. Most patients usually don't recover this quick. Also, no food until further notice." The doctor says, making his way to the doors.

"Got it," Ethan says before the doctor leaves.

"No food?" I whine.

"Doctor's orders." Chase says as he grabs my hand again. I groan at his words, but I don't hesitate to wrap my fingers around his hand.