Chapter 35

I smooth my black dress in the mirror before letting out a sigh.

Today was the day I say goodbye. I'm not sure I'm ready, but I know it's time.

"Ready?" Beth asks, as she rubs my back.

"I'm not sure I'll ever be ready," I say honestly, as Beth's frowns.

"I know, sweetie," she says pulling me into a quick hug.

I follow everyone out to our car, as Chase stays beside me.

I sit in the car and squeeze my eyes shut, trying to get all my thoughts in order. I feel a hand grasp mine, as I open my eyes and give a gracious smile towards Chase. He nods before staring straight ahead.

Our little town quickly came into view as a cool warm breeze flew through me. This town brings so many memories, both good and bad.

I see the church come into view with a poster next to it. Several people are already there in their black outfits and holding tissues.

The car finds a parking spot, and I get out. I grab my clutch, and head to where all the people were. 

At the front of the church was the poster.

In remembrance of Charles T. Riley and Sarah J. Riley.

I began to read as I felt my eyes prickle with water as our family photo was next to it.

They were beloved children, neighbors, and parents. Today, we will remember two amazing lives that were lost in a horrific act of violence.

I felt a hand on my shoulder as I turned to see Chase. I sent him a sad smile as he wiped some of my tears with his thumb.

"Oh, dear," a lady came over to me, "your mother always kept me company when I was recovering from a c-section. She would always come in and brighten my day." The lady smiled at the memory, causing me to smile as well. "She was gone too early, stay strong, darling." She said before walking off.

An elderly woman I recognized came up to me, "Oh, Jayden!" she cried as she threw her arms around me.

"Mrs. Winters!" I say as I hug her back. Mrs. Winters was our neighbor across the street. I would always go over to her house and have tea with her while my dad did her gardening.

"Oh sweetie," she said as she pulled back from me, "they were wonderful people. I'm so happy you were blessed with the chance to have them as your parents," she smiled.

"Thank you," I said as I feel tears sting my eyes. "I miss you," I frown.

"I miss you too, deary." Mrs. Winters says with a sad smile. "Say, why don't we have tea tomorrow?"

"I would love that," I grin, wiping a tear.

"Okay, I'll be waiting," Mrs. Winters says before walking off. I smile as she hobbles away, finding more of my neighbors to talk to.

"Who was she? You guys seem close," Chase asks from next to me.

"She was my neighbor, I would go to her house when my dad would mow the lawn and weed her garden," I smile at the memories.

"Ah, she seems like a sweet lady," Chase comments, watching her socialize in the distance.

"She really is," I say looking that way.

"Jayden Riley?" a voice called taking my attention off of Mrs. Winters.

"That's me," I say with a small smile, staring at the family of four that stood before me. I didn't recognize them.