Chapter 27

Ethan's POV:

It was the next day when the doctor came in to give us the news.

"Hi guys," he greets entering the room. We all greet him back.

"So, it has been just over 24 hours after the event. Her vitals are all fine, however since she is unresponsive to us, I believe she is in a coma," he says looking at his clipboard before glancing back up at us.

My heart clenches as I turn to look at Jayden laying perfectly still on the hospital bed.

"What?" Mom gasps as she grabs on to dad and sobs.

"How, uh, long?" Chase mumbles, his eyes glossing over.

"It depends on the person and their body. Since she had severe amounts of trauma, then the surgery, and all the blood she lost, it is a lot on her right now. Her body just needs to repair and catch up." The doctor states.

"And how long on average?" I ask. The doctor completely avoided the question.

"On average, only a few weeks. But, she could wake up tomorrow, or in a month. There really is no way of telling. If it last more than a few months, we may have to discuss other options." The doctor says, putting his clipboard by his side.

"Other options?" Dad asks, handing mom a tissue.

"Yes, we may have to move her to another wing, or change her treatment, or let her go," he says. 

Let her go? Like kill her? Does that mean she might never wake up? Mom cries harder.

"But, let's not think about that yet. Chances are she will be awake within the next week or so." We all nod. "Do you guys have any other questions?" We all shake our heads. "Okay, I'll be back tomorrow. Please don't forget, press the blue button if you need anything." With that, the doctor heads out the door.

~*~*~

Just as we finished eating dinner, the police show up.

"Good evening," officer Julian said.

"How did that man get inside my house?" Dad demands quickly standing to his feet.

"Yeah, I was going to cover that," officer Julian said, sitting down, letting out a sigh before speaking again, "I was on duty at your house yesterday. I was in my car, when all of a sudden I heard a loud crash in the forest on your property. I hurried to investigate, and saw an alcohol bottle smashed on the ground, which is what I believe I heard. I alerted backup, because I knew he was in the area. 

"As I was heading back to my position, I received notification that Jayden pressed her button. I sprinted into your house, then I heard her scream. I ran to her room and saw him over Jayden. I quickly shot him. It is confirmed that he is dead," officer Julian explained.

"Wow," Dad said, "thank you for your protection." He stuck out his hand, which officer Julian gladly shook.

"I try my best to keep everyone in Berry Falls safe."

"Well, you're doing a great job." Mom says with soft smile.

Officer Julian smiles, "Officer Clark, which is the officer back in Florida on this case, will be here sometime this week. We will need to ask Jayden some more questions once she wakes up to complete the paperwork for this case."

"And the funeral?" I ask. I know how important it is to Jayden to have a funeral for her parents.

"It is up to you guys to plan when you would like to hold it. Right now, their bodies are in the coroner's office in Macadamia Beach, Florida, which is where the Riley family lived. So, I'm sure officer Clark will share more about this, but the coroner was kind enough to keep the bodies there until everyone is feeling healthy." Officer Julian gives a small smile.

"Thank you," Chase said. He has been awfully quiet all day today, no doubt he's beating himself up over Jayden. I mean we all are, especially after what the doctor said this morning.

~*~*~

I slowly wake up from my extremely uncomfortable position on the floor in Jayden's hospital room. It's still dark out, and I squint my eyes to read the clock. 1:24. I try to go back to sleep, but I hear soft whispers coming from Jayden's bed. 

I turn my head the other way to see her bed, only for her to be covered by a figure standing over her, clutching her hand.

It's Chase. 

My heart breaks at the sight.

I tune my ears in, trying to listen closely to what he's saying to her. And yes, I know I'm being nosy.

"Please come back to Earth, gumdrop. I know you want to stay with your mom and dad so bad, but please come back. They'll be there forever. They want you to live your life, to go to college, to get married, to have a family. They want you to experience a kiss, gumdrop. Please come back. I'll give it all to you, I promise." I heard Chase say as his voice breaks.

"Please, I think I might just," Chase whispers the last part so I couldn't make it out. He leans down, kisses her forehead, and fixes her hair.

I quickly turn forward to go back to sleep knowing one thing for sure.

That boy is whipped.