Chapter 23

"Jayden," Ethan said as he entered my room.

I just grunt in response and continue staring off.

"Is there anything I can get you?" He asked quietly as I stared off into space.

I just shake my head in response.

"Or anyone?" He asks in a suggestive tone.

I shake my head, "I just wanna be alone."

"Well, Chase will not stop asking about you."

"Really?" I ask as I felt a small smile creep onto my face before it quickly disappeared.

"Yeah. Well, mom said she's calling you in for school for the rest of the week." Ethan said from the doorway.

"Tell her thanks." I whisper.

"Of course." Ethan said as he left the room.

I continued to stare out the window until I saw the sun begin to set, letting my eyes shut.

~*~*~

I woke up in the middle of a night to a loud crash outside. I felt my chest tighten, and I began to fiddle around for my button. I quickly press it, and hear footsteps rush into the home. The door flew open revealing a female officer with her gun in her hands.

"What is it, honey?" She whispers to me.

"There was a crash outside my window." I say quickly, as I hear my heartbeat pick up. She nods, and slowly walks to my window. She opens it and looks down, instantly putting down her gun.

"It's just a raccoon. Looks like he knocked over a garbage can," she said before shutting the window.

"Oh, I'm so sorry. I just thought," I began but she cut me off.

"It's okay. I would rather you be overly cautious, than oblivious," she smiles.

"Thank you." I smile back.

"Is everything okay?" Beth asked, as she came running into my room, slightly out of breath.

"Yes, false alarm." The officer smiled, "You all can go back to sleep."

"Thank you, ma'am." Beth said before they exited my room and shut my door.

I feel tears prickle my eyes as I let out a silent sob. I wrap my blanket around my shoulders as I sit up in my bed. I feel myself slightly trembling, yet I feel too weak to move.

What's wrong with me?