Chapter 35: Humanity

"Ughh!!!" I threw the notepad against the wall and let myself fall on the springy bed.

I had been writing the spell for over a day with little success. I had only two stanzas and needed at least three but I had no inspiration. And to believe once upon a time I had been a writer, how quickly that flame had gone out.

Lilith was in the kitchen, cooking dinner. I could hear the spatula against the metal, the fridge opening and closing as Lilith retrieved some ingredients. I could smell the nice savory scent. She had improved in cooking since that first day.

That's it. I needed some air. It was too stuffy here. I stood up and grabbed my white wool scarf, heading outside the room.

"I'm heading out. I'll be back soon." I said as I put on my coat and slipped on my boots.

She stopped cooking and came behind me. I looked behind me and met her questioning eyes.

"You're okay to go out?" Lilith asked.

"I'm fine, I just need some fresh air." I shut my eyes as a wave of nausea hit me.

"You don-"

"I'm fine, I promise." I quickly turned and tried to give her a kiss but she backed away.

I'm sure a look of shock passed my features. It hurt. Even though it had been a day Lilith still didn't want to touch me. I was starved, she was barely paying any attention to me. She could hardly look at me! I just wanted her to look at m and acknowledge me, but I just kept messing everything up. But it's not like I would force her. I would have to respect her decision.

I turned away "I'll be back in time for dinner." I grabbed Lucifer from a table near the door and headed out into the snow.

I didn't think I'd need Lucifer but just in case I meet with the Wendigo again. Who knows? He's probably already stalking and hunting me right now. I doubt anything will go unnoticed by it in these woods.

I admired the serenity of the forest. It had powerful magic oozing out of every tree, fueling me and healing me. I touched a tree and tapped into the ancient magic inside of it. My head felt clearer and I felt lighter almost instantly. My vision sharpened.

"Just a bit. I won't take a lot." I told the tree as I took my hand off.

My hand had left a mark on the tree. I looked behind me and saw the deep indentions of my feet that I left behind from walking.

Ca-careful. The voice crackled in after I was far from the cabin.

I stopped in my tracks. You! What did you do to me? Why can't Lilith touch me?

I did this? Technically this is all you. You forced my hand.

Oh please, stop lying through your teeth. What curse did you place on me? I seethed.

I didn't place any curse. That was just the effects of when I tried to get you to see the truth. Unfortunately that little traitor side of yours is interfering. It said.

Traitor? Who was that? I jumped on a tree and sat on the sturdy branch.

Oh and your familiar! She's very annoying. It continued, ignoring me.

Suddenly it clicked. You are me. But not me. You're a different me. A purer me.

It didn't respond. But that was all I needed. Everything fell into place. How did I not get it sooner? She's trying to get rid of me. Well of this me? But which one was I? An evil one? Or an angelic one?

Well obviously not angelic. Now demonic? That seemed plausible. I've done a lot of evil things, but I knew my limits. But where was my demonic side? If I had an angel, where was my demon? These questions were spiraling out of control.

Clearly this walk was no longer productive, but I had gotten inspiration to write the spell. I would disregard the advice the voice gave me. It would try to possess me and make me hurt Lilith. I would not let that happen. I would not let myself hurt Lilith. I jumped onto another tree and began my way back to the cabin.

The trees shook and ice broke off as I made my way back. I was surprised on how rural this area was. How serene and peaceful it was. Well, except for the Wendigo killing every human that stayed at this place.

To believe humans could cause this much destruction. How could they turn themselves into such monsters? As a child I believed this was all the devils influence. Now I knew better. Humans did all this to themselves, with little influence.

Destroy, destroy. That's all humans did, all they craved. They craved to see each other fail and die. They hated confrontation. They feared death. They feared divine intervention. Pitiful things. But they were special. And different. Instead of cowering in what they feared, humans rose and did everything in their power to become the highest beings. Bending only to their will. Something demons and angels couldn't do. Lucifer controlled all the demons from this realm and God ruled all the angels and animals of the universe.

Hybrids like Sabrina and Elizabeth- hybrids who had a high percentage of humanity- could do as they pleased, like regular humans. While wills like those of Nico and Clay- demons with no humanity- were overpowered by those of their ruler; Lucifer. Or kin of Lucifer. With my bloodwork, it's a surprise I was even accepted into the Academy.

I wasn't sure what will I bent too. It didn't seem to me like I followed Gods or Lucifers wills. I followed my own. The more I thought about it, it seemed like the voice did something when I was vulnerable or questioning my own will, my own power.

I was going to be used as a weapon my whole life, but luckily my human blood gave me my emotions. I could act just like anyone else. That made the High Chamber doubt if I could be used like a weapon. If they treated me wrong. Well, treat me worse. I still feel the pain in my back. I remember how tight my skin had healed over. I could easily turn on them, though I wasn't stupid enough for that. With all the education and training I was given I would have been an absolute idiot to turn on them. It wasn't like I could go back to my parents. They were dead. It still made my blood boil. They broke two ancient laws, went against Gods will. But how? How did they have that kind of awareness to break ancient laws?

I stopped just a couple feet away from the cabin.

So those little whispers telling me to stop and focus on my tasks, to not give into my desires, the very whispers that helped me find Lilith, were trying to get rid of me?

Word Count: 1184~