Waiting Game

I watched the moon, waiting... for cramps, that little pain in my side, any telltale sign that my menstrual cycle was close. Nadda. We were together often so I was waiting for him to notice, but he proved to be all man... oblivious, until the following month.
We were just finishing up dinner. Kaede had moved back to her hut and I had been complaining about how stubborn she could be. He was barely listning, giving me a nod here and an inflection there. I sighed. I was about to wash the dishes when he finally spoke up.
"Hey, Kagome..."
"Yes love?"
"I... I don't want you to be hurt, cause it's not a bad thing but... you smell different."
I froze, the hairs on my arms standing in goosebumps. I took a deep breath and turned to him, leaving the dishes in the bucket. "Can you tell me more?"
He shrugged. "I dunno. It's just different... like there is something else there, another smell."
A small smile played on my lips. "So you haven't noticed."
He got up and went into the bedroom, coming back without his robe. "What?"
I walked over to him, taking his hand and laying it on my still flat stomach.
His eyes went wide and his ears were at full attention. All the color drained out of his face.
"Breathe! Inu-"
He hit the floor like a sack of rocks.

(InuYashas pov )
I was floating in the dark. Sounds were coming from all around. My name, she was calling my name. I slowly opened my eyes and she was inches from my face. Her chocolate orbs full of worry as she stroked my cheek.
"Are you ok babe?"
She called me babe, babe..... baby!
"Kag-Kagome...?"
"Yes?"

I looked down at her belly, then back up. I couldn't think, I sat there stunned, looking at the most precious person in my life. Suddenly it hit me that there would be two most precious people... and my chin began to tremble. I tried to control it, but the harder I tried, the worse it got till I felt a tear roll down my cheek. And of course that turned on her water works too. I wanted to be pissed, but that wasn't the feeling rising up in my chest. I scooped her up in my arms so hard, that we rolled back on the floor. I covered her sweet face in kisses, pulling her to me again.
My voice trembled when I whispered, "I'm going to be a dad. Oh Kagome you're going to be a mom," another tear slid out and landed silently in her hair. "And I'm going to be a dad. I'm going to be," hic, "a daaaaad!"
I stood on shaky legs, bringing her with me.

She was petting me, humming the song that she liked to hum when we had moments like these. I didn't know what it was, but I calmed. When I pulled back, she had the sweetest smile, but there was uncertainty too.
"I ... I didn't think you would be happy InuYasha."
I shook my head, "Neither did I. Now what?"
"Well, now we wait."
So began the waiting, which ain't my cup of sake...
And I drove her crazy. Those first few weeks I think I really got a taste of how she feels when I leave her to go work. I felt useless! I wanted to help her with everything, do everything for her. Well of course she wouldn't let me do a damn thing.
We had the garden planted in record time, according to the elders of the village. There was enough wood busted up for two winters and I ran to the lake everytime she needed water and still she always had something to do. Something I could do, if only she would let me.
At the end of the second week, she was really irritated and snapped at me for walking in the house with dirty feet. I looked down at my prints and got a cloth, but I guess I grabbed the wrong one.
"SIT!"
I felt icy terror shoot down my spine, then remembered that she had changed the word.
"Ha!" I barked. "You thought you could-"
She was shooting daggers from her eyes that were engulfed in flames. I darted out the door to talk to Miroku.

*special thanks to Len Barboza. This line of works is called "Not Just Two Of Us" Len is on Twitter, Facebook and has an etsy store!*