03

||Author's Note: I will try to update Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday||

"Honey, what happened?"

Zak simply sniffled in response, tears still running down his cheeks.

"You don't have to tell me right now," she added. "You can always tell me later."

A small "Okay." was all she received in response.

She continued to treat his wound, finishing by bandaging with white cloth and kissing it as if he was a small child who had scraped his knee.

That's when Darryl walked in, happy as could be, and yelled a greeting to his mother.

"Mooooom, I'm home."

"Can you please come in here for a moment baby?"

"Coming." He walked into the bathroom where he was met with the surprise of his best friend crying on a toilet seat holding his right hand close to his chest, and his mother looking concerningly at both of the boys. Darryl walked over to Zak and kneeled down, looking into his tear-filled eyes.

"Why?" He said, not finishing his question. All the thoughts went through Zak's head. Why what? Why was he here? Why did his mom kick him out? Why does he have to be gay?

"I-I don't have a home anymore..." Zak stated plainly, not wanting to break his emotions even more. Now it was Darryl's turn to have the thoughts. Did he get kicked out? Did they get into a fight? Did his mother get arrested? Did she die?

Both of the boys looked each other in the eyes, trying to understand what was happening. The conversation had raised many more questions than it answered.

Ms. Kay left the boys alone to talk with one another and went into the living room, closing the bathroom door behind her. Zak began to talk very quickly, explaining the entire situation that had happened within the past few hours, and practically begging for Darryl to let him squat here for a while. That's when Darryl asked the million-dollar-question:

"What do you plan to do?"

336 words