04

"What do you plan to do?"

The question Zak had been waiting for. He didn't know what he planned to do, all he knew is that he needed a place to sleep. Darryl sat down, as Zak snaked his way off the toilet and into his arms. He began to sob into the Senior's chest, wishing that everything could just go back to the way it was yesterday.

Darryl just sat there, sitting on the cold tile, back against the wall, and he began to cry too. He didn't know why, but he did. He held Zak tight, never wanting to let him go, knowing he was his comfort.

Zak came out to him around a year before, and he was very supportive of him.

But Darryl had a secret too.

Darryl was bi, and he had known for a long time- basically since he discovered it was a thing. He wanted to tell Zak so badly, but he was scared to. Scared of what? He didn't even know the answer to that himself.

Darryl told his mother already, and she was supportive of him in the same way Darryl was of Zak. So why couldn't he just tell Zak? It would be simple right? Right?

Darryl and Zak stayed that way until nearly midnight, and Darryl went to his bed after showing Zak the couch he could sleep on. They both knew they would have to go to school the next day, whether they wanted to or not, so they might as well get some rest.

But the couldn't sleep. Not now. Not like this.

They were both so consumed in their thoughts that it suddenly became morning.

When Darryl came downstairs, Zak already had eggs on the stove that he had found in the pantry- enough for himself, Darryl, and Ms. Kay. They ate together in silence, leaving the rest of them on the stove for his mother when she woke up.

It was time to go to school.

333 words