13

Mr. Schumacher took a deep breath and reached under his desk.

He grabbed a 6-pack of donuts that he had got for himself that morning, already having eaten half of them. He walked up to his classroom door, donuts in hand, and closed it. He got to eye level with where Zak would be looking if he was awake, in a crouching position on the floor.

He put his hand on the Junior's shoulder and gave him a little nudge while saying his name, "Zak...Zak! Wake up!"

The boy jolted up quickly before looking around only to realize that all of his classmates had already left and that the day must be over.

"Oh-ohh sorry, let me just grab my stuff and I'll be going..." Zak trailed off as Mr. S kept his hand on his shoulder and looked him in the eyes.

"Hey... I need to talk to you for a moment, will you stay here with me please?" The teacher questioned, hoping the boy would oblige. Zak simply nodded his head in response, not quite sure of what was about to happen.

Mr. S handed Zak a donut, which he immediately began devouring, starving and knowing he would need the energy for later. The Pre-Cal teacher looked at the boy with sad eyes as he ate the food like an abused puppy; he wished he had the guts to help the boy sooner.

"Zak, I want to know what happened. And if you don't want to tell me, at least let me help you." Zak continued eating his donut at an alarming rate, unfazed. Mr. S obviously wasn't catching his attention. He needed to take more drastic measures- he needed to take a risk.

"I know you ran away from your parents. I know you are staying at the school, and I know they're not coming to look for you."

Zak stopped eating and looked up at the teacher. Even if he was only half right, it was still enough to scare him. This was the reaction Mr. S wanted.

"Zak, I know something happened. What I want you to tell me is what I don't know."

365 words