09

But he couldn't sleep knowing that there was someone there with him.

By the time the morning rolled around, the feeling had passed. Zak didn't get even a wink of sleep, let alone a healthy amount. He got ready, wearing some of his new clothes he had bought the day before. Conveniently, his first period was boy's track which began with everyone meeting in the locker room to get changed.

Zak came into the locker room before the school let kids in yet so that it could look like he was just the first one there and no one would see him exiting the janitor's closet or suspect something. As his classmates entered, he opened up his locker and began to get changed, thankful for his extra stick of deodorant.

He went through his 1st-4th period classes as normal, until lunch rolled around. He went there expecting to have a good time hanging around and laughing with Vincent. Instead, he walked in and was immediately greeted with glares from Darryl and a few of his friends.

'Well," Zak thought, "at least the rumors haven't spread far...

yet."

He got in line to get food, feeling eyes on him.

As he sat down with Vincent, it was clear that he had noticed.

"What's up with Darryl?" The senior questioned in his thick accent. He knew that Zak and Darryl were best friends.

"Oh we just got into a little argument." Zak responded nonchalantly. He put on a fake smile which the senior was suspicious about at first, but eventually was convinced. They ate their lunch in peace, sharing a bit of laughter.

Zak and Vincent had their 7th and final period of the day, Pre-Calculus together. Normally, Zak would focus and pay attention during class, as math was his favorite subject. Today, however, he kept dozing off, and Vincent noticed. He looked at the bags under his eyes and noticed just how tired Zak was.

Something was wrong with this boy.

334 words