02

He picked up the phone and clicked on Clay's name.

Zak was nervous sweating, knowing that his now ex-boyfriend WHO HAD CHEATED ON HIM was his only option to keep from sleeping on a park bench.

The phone rang a few times until it stopped. Zak paused, waiting for Clay to say something.

A small voice came through the phone.

"Hello?"

"Hey, Clay, I'm sorry to call y-"

"Helloooooooo??"

"Clay?"

"Is anybody thereeeeee?"

"Cla-"

"Please leave a message after the tone"
Beep.

'Oh my god it was just his stupid ringtone I just got bamboozled.' Zak thought, angry yet relieved at the same time for not having to stay at his ex's place.

He decided that his only option was to simply show up at Darryl's house, hoping that he would accept him and take him in.

Zak plugged the address into his phone and began the 20 minute walk to Darryl's. As he walked down the side walk, the pain from his hand finally hit him, forcing him to resume crying, this time from his palm instead of his emotions.

When Zak began to near Darryl's house, tears began falling down his face, realizing just how much his life had changed in the past hour.

He rang the doorbell to the Senior's house, only to find his mother answer it.

Zak was a mess at the moment, and it was obvious to anyone that there was something wrong with him. His cheeks and around his eyes were red, there were tears streaming down his face, and his hair was a rat's nest.

"I-I'm sorr- I didn't think she- we had never talked about it-"

"Shh shh it's ok sweetheart come here." Zak cried into the woman's shirt, letting evey tear in his body flow out. She carefully brought him inside and sat him down on the couch.

Ms. Kay was a large black woman who loved everyone and could always see the good in people. Her and Darryl looked nothing alike, as Darryl was adopted by her when she could never really find her 'one'.

Zak reluctantly revealed his hand to her, knowing he needed to be patched up. She immediately took him to the bathroom, where he sat on the toilet while she went to get the first aid kit. When she began to patch him up, she tried to understand how he ended up in this situation in the first place.

"Honey, what happened?"

418 words