16

|| Author's Note: Apologies for the unannounced hiatus. I'm back now and will continue updating every Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday ||

He left, setting his plan into action.

The bell rang indicating the start of a new day. Vincent decided that today he would follow Zak all the way back to his home and would simply be a silent observer. He didn't want to be creepy or anything, but that seemed to be his only option left. Vince knew that there was something wrong at Zak's house. Though he had no idea how extreme, he knew it was something.

Zak didn't get changed into his track uniform before class started like he normally did. When his coach arrived in the locker rooms, he went and told him that his stomach was hurting and he didn't think that he could run. Not bad enough to be sent to the nurse, of course. Zak felt very unmotivated this morning, very weak after crying his way through the night. He sat against the wire fence as he watched his teammates run the track, all envious of him.

He ate lunch with Vincent as he always did. Zak was quiet and Vincent noticed but chose not to say anything. He knew that Mr. Schumacher had a talk with Zak yesterday and the boy was probably pretty exhausted afterward.

The rest of his periods came and went, Zak not daring to sleep in most of them because he knew his teachers would yell at him. Most of them saw that he was doing it so often and cracked down on him. But not Mr. Schumacher. He never mentioned it.

Zak didn't talk to Mr. Schumacher during his class; he just slept like he usually did.

The class ended relatively quickly and the bell rang. Instead of waiting to walk with him like he usually did, Vincent left early. He waited around the corner so he could follow Zak. Zak thought this was weird that he left early but chose to ignore it because he didn't need another bad thing going on in his life at the moment. Zak eventually gained the motivation to stand up and walk out of class.

Once he saw him walk around the corner, Vincent began to follow the boy. He stayed about 10 feet behind him and walked silently. As there became less and less people around them in the halls, Vincent noticed that they were going to the complete opposite end of the school. When they entered the open locker rooms, that's when Vincent got really confused. As Zak opened the closet door, he looked around to make sure no one saw him. He met eyes with Vincent.

"Zak? What are you doing?"

454 words