chapter xxxv

Jacob and I met outside, him seeing the look of confusion in my eyes as I stopped running. Before he could ask me what was wrong or even have time to read my thoughts, I lead him into his house as a interim sanctuary. Billy sees us stumble into the small house and smiles, beckoning us to join them at the table, "Hey Kota, Son." 

Jacob looks at Charlie inquisitively, like he didn't know why he was there and to be honest all I know is that they both asked me here, so I came, "What's going on?" 

Billy smiles at his son with such veiled sadness, glancing at his sunken best friend, "Bella called him." 

Charlie gets up from his seat, claps Jake's shoulder before giving me a quick hug, "Hey, haven't seen you in a while. You okay? Look like you've seen a ghost." 

I nodded faster than I needed to, not wanting to tell anyone about the thing that just happened with Paul because in layman's terms I was both confused and in shock. Jacob's foot is rapidly tapping against the wooden floors, anxious to hear about Bella, "So, you finally heard from Bella?" 

Charlie sinks back into his chair, the smile he once held for me quickly melting into his frown,  "They're extending their trip. Seems she caught a bug. They wanna wait until she feels better before they travel." 

"She's sick?" I question, sideways glancing at Jake as my unsteady voice cracked at the adjective. 

"DOES THAT MEAN SHE'S CHANGED?" He thinks angrily, setting his jaw and neither of us honestly wanted the answer. 

"Yeah, she told me not to worry, but she sounded, I don't know, off," Charlie sighs, twirling the empty fruit bowl on the table. 

Sue comes behind Charlie, placing a comforting hand on his shoulder and Billy rolls himself over and places a hand on top of his, "She'll be okay, Charlie. Come on. Let's eat. Jacob, let it go."

Neither one of us listened to Billy, both already out the door as he warned us against what we were bound to do. Jacob and I each get on our bikes that have been sitting in his garage since we fixed them up in January and ride directly to the Cullen's house. Parking our bikes outside of their house, Jake screams internally to tell Edward we were on the property in the vain hope that we were right about them lying to Charlie. Carlisle meets us at the door and takes us upstairs where their entire family is. Jacob walks right in, snarling, "Is it true?" 

Rosalie, the blonde I've never actually spoken to, stands in between him and the room, obscuring our view, "Hello, Jacob, how are you?" 

Her politeness made me chuckle, any other time I probably would hate her snarky politeness but it diffused the tension for me. It reminded me of myself if anything. Jacob steps closer to her, making their chests touch, "Listen, just give it to me straight." 

From behind Rosalie's petite yet firm figure, a hoarse voice called out, "Jake, is that you?" 

I gasp, recognizing the voice of my cousin, "She's here?" 

Rosalie sighs, silently cursing my cousin for speaking, "They came home two weeks ago."

I push her aside and go straight to Bella but Rosalie's fast ass speeds in front of me and Jake to block us from her. "Jake. Kota. I'm glad you came," Bella's hoarse voice croaks.