chapter xxii

SLAM!

The front door slams and in enters Quil and Jake, Quil Phased sometime after hearing about Harry Clearwater's passing. He sees me curled up on the couch, no longer using Embry as a pillow but someone else. I roll to my other side to see who I'm laying on and see Paul, watching me, in a nice black dress shirt for Harry's memorial. "Morning Little Uley. You've been asleep for hours. Did you know that you talk in your sleep?" Paul laughs as I sit up stretching out my body, almost hitting him in the face.

Embry walks in behind them, seeing me and laughing, "Kota, did you know you talk in your sleep? Didn't know how much you valued our friendship until you mumbled about someone leaving me alone."

I groan taking the pillow in front of me and throwing it at his head which he catches, sticking his tongue out at me like a child. Sam walks into the room dressed in his black attire with Emily and Jared, "Come on guys we're gonna be late. You sure you don't wanna go with us, Kody?"

I nod getting up off the couch stretching my legs and back yawning, "Yeah I'm sure. I didn't really know him all that well and I need to get some stuff from Charlie's if I'm gonna stay here for a few days. Go ahead I'll be fine."

They all looked at me hesitantly before leaving me alone in the house. I grab my keys from the dish by the front door and drive back into town to collect my things. When I get home Bella and Alice were in the living room quietly talking so I run upstairs so I don't have to deal with them or their questions. I grab my backpack from off the back of my chair and fold some running shorts and old clothes in as well as the necessities when I hear Bella's bedroom door slam. Leaving my bag behind, I run across the hall to see Bella running around her room shoving clothes into a bag. Before I could ask what the Hell was going on Jacob barges in behind her, "Why do you have to go?"

I look around at the pair, clearly confused by what the Hell was going on. "He won't believe Alice. He has to see that I'm alive," Bella hisses at Jake as she trifles through her desk to find her passport.

She finds her passport and makes to the door but Jake stops her, "He left you, Bella. He didn't want you anymore, remember?"

"But I still love him, and I'm not gonna let him kill himself out of guilt," Bella says, hurting Jacob when admitting that she is still in love with the mind reading leech.

"If he loved you the way you love him then he'd be here right now, Bells. Maybe you should reevaluate who really loves you," I grumbled wanting to lock her in her closet until she gives up on saving Edward. I look in Jake's wounded eyes then behind him at the picture of Bella and Charlie on the desk, "What about your dad?"

"I'm eighteen, legally free to go. I'll leave a note," Bella says finally pushing past us and descending the stairs to meet Alice.

"Got the airline tickets," the petite vampire announces, waving the printed proof in her left hand.

Jacob squares up to Alice, "You Cullens might hunt animals but those monsters in Italy don't."

So the vamps in Italy follow the strict "Bleh, bleh, bleh. I'mma stuck your blood" diet, fantastic for the Italians. Alice snarls at Jacob, still maintaining her pleasant expression, "I'm well aware what the Volturi are."

"Then why are you taking Bella to them like a bottle of wine to a party?" Jacob prompts, stepping closer to her.

She snorts, rolling her golden eyes, "Right, she's better off here with Victoria stalking her. The one you dogs can't seem to catch?"