27

Will pushed the back kitchen door open, allowing Evelyn to walk out first. "Thank you." She spoke sheepishly, avoiding his gaze as she grazed by him stepping into the night. Her shy eyes moved from her feet to up at the now clear night sky, filled with twinkling stars. She walked along the back patio, almost in a trance as she looked around her large backyard. Heels clicked along the cream patio, while she glide along side the cream baluster railings. Nothing changed about the backyard from what Evelyn could see. It was as it was just how she'd last seen it.

A small deep chuckle came from behind Evelyn causing her to stop and turn, looking back at Will moving away from the back kitchen door as it closed, trapping them outside. "What's so funny?" She couldn't help but smile at his amusement.

Crinkles deepened by Will's dark eyes as he walked up to her. "I was just thinking back to the time when I gave you a surprise visit while you were attending you little garden." Evelyn smiled at the memory. She remembered that day well, like it had happened only yesterday. She remembered how handsome Will had looked because he had a delivery for the Governor and wanted to look his absolute best. She trailed after him without question as she always had. She still would.

"You looked so young and so handsome. We planned on running away together, remember? To Venice or Paris or where ever you would have gone." Her smile brightened, warmth nipping at the tips of her ears.

"You would come downstairs in your best dress and we confessed our undying love for one another." Will snaked a hand around Evelyn's waist, grinning down at her. "I remember that all too well." He added, pulling her close to his side. A gentle breeze picked up, pushing back against Evelyn. It was as if the wind wanted to push the couple as close at possible together.

"I guess you could say that in some way, we did all of those things." Evelyn slipped from his grip, locking her fingers in his and tugged him into step. She pulled him to her side, descending down the steps and on to the white pebble walkway.

"I guess we did." Will said, sounding both impressed and amused. "Your mother would have had a canary if she knew." He added jokingly.

"I bet she's rolling around in her grave." She joked nonchalantly. Her words meant no harm and Will knew that.

"Do you miss her?" He asked softly.

"Sometimes. I know deep, deep down she loved me in her own way. I just wasn't her version of a perfect daughter." She replied starring down at the grass resting beside the pebble walkway.

Will's face fell at her words. Giving her hand a squeeze, he pressed a tender kiss on her forehead. Pulling back, he craned his neck and looked to the right of him at the pathway circling around. Half of the pebble trail was covered by vine arches that hide behind the gazebo that stopped just before Evelyn's little garden. "You know," Will started as the two separated to begin their walk, "I've never walked along back here." He locked his hands behind his back.

"I have many many times. Last time I did this I was with Leo. Actually it was that first night he had visited us back when his family came for what was suppose to be our wedding." Evelyn held her hands together in front of her stomach, looking down at her shoes while they walked. "God, that felt like that was years and years ago." She shook her head in disbelief.

"We've done quite the bit of growing since then. With everything we've been through, it makes everything seem like it was so long ago." Will replied, turning his head to look at her.

Evelyn lifted her head up to glance at him, instantly being greeted by his loving eyes. "We have been through a lot...and I don't know what we do now." She looked away from them, looking out as they curved around the circle and into the darkness of the vine covered arches. "I have no idea what we are suppose to do now." Evelyn turned her eyes to him, showing all signs of the truth written across her face.