Chapter 38

AMERICA'S POV

AMERICA'S POV

As soon as Sam sends him over to us, Steve throws Sitwell across the roof before striding after him. Natasha and I follow at his heels.

"Tell me about Zola's algorithm!" Steve demands, grabbing him by the suit jacket.

"Never heard of it!"

"What were you doing on the Lemurian Star?"

"I was throwing up, I get seasick." Sitwell smiles this nasty, humorless grin as Steve pushes him dangerously close to the edge. "Is this little display meant to insinuate that you're gonna throw me off the roof? Because it's really not your style, Rogers."

"You're right, it's not." Steve pauses and lets him go. I step out of the way, knowing the plan. "It's hers."

Natasha kicks him off the roof. He screams like a little boy the entire descent. "How bad would it be if Sam doesn't catch him?" I ask her.

"I don't know. Not like I want to take him for lunch or anything."

Out of what seems like nowhere, Sam flies up from the ground and drops Sitwell, who cowers in surrender, in front of us. Wow. I love the Falcon suit.

"Zola's algorithm is a program...for choosing Insight's targets!" Sitwell whimpers. What a coward. No guts or loyalty at all.

"What targets?" Steve asks harshly.

"You! A TV anchor in Cairo, the Undersecretary of Defense, a high school valedictorian in Iowa City. Bruce Banner, Stephen Strange, anyone who's a threat to HYDRA! Now, or in the future!"

"The future? How could it know?"

Sitwell laughs. He actually laughs. "How could it not? The 21st century is a digital book. Zola taught HYDRA how to read it. Your bank records, medical histories, voting patterns, e-mails, phone calls, your SAT scores! Zola's algorithm evaluates people's past to predict their future."

"And what then?" I ask.

"You would know better than anyone else here, wouldn't you? You were knee deep in the blood of HYDRA's victims. I think you probably know more than I do." My blood boils as he says this, and when he decides to grin that stupid smirk again, I punch it off of his face. He stumbles backward, clutching his cheek. "Pierce is gonna kill me."

"What then?" Steve yells.

"Then the Insight Helicarriers scratch people off the list. A few million at a time."

Soon after, I'm uncomfortably sandwiched between Natasha and Sitwell in the back of Sam's car. I scoot towards Natasha as much as I can, but there's not that much room to begin with.

"HYDRA doesn't like leaks," Sitwell mumbles. I shove him.

"Yeah, trust me, I know. Find someone who cares, won't you?"