22

T.W.: death

"Dad! Dad! There's something wrong with Remus!" Remus yelled, running up to Patton.

"What?" Patton asked.

The fourteen year old nodded frantically, "he's just laying in the pasture! He didn't even try to bite Roman!"

"Okay! Okay!" Patton calmed the boy, "Get your father and well go check on him."

Remus ran off, quickly returning with Logan in tow. The three of them hurried to the pasture.

Horse-Remus was laying flat on his side, his head resting in Roman's lap. Virgil was crying into the horses blonde mane.

"Oh kiddos..." Patton hugged Roman and Virgil.

"W-whats wrong with h-him?" Virgil whimpered.

Logan and Patton shared a look.

"Kiddo... Remus wasn't the healthiest horse." Patton started.

Logan sighed, "his digestive system is failing. The vet told us a few years ago that he didn't have long."

"Remus is dying?" Remus asked quietly.

"I'm sorry kiddo." Patton hugged the boy tightly.

"I'll call Dee. He'll want to be here." Logan whispered.

~~time skip~~

Patton sighed as he looked out the window at Dee and Remus. They had been so close, and now his horse was dying.

Dee hunched over Remus's head, his shoulders shaking. Patton knew at that moment that Remus was gone. He turned away from the window.

A few minutes later, Dee walked in.

"It's over." He whispered in a broken voice.

Remus burst out in tears, clinging to his older brothers shirt. Dee knelt in front of the boys.

"I know it's hard to lose someone so suddenly, but it'll be okay." Dee resured them.

"W-where did Remus go?" Virgil asked quietly.

Dee sighed and looked to Patton and Logan for help.

"Kiddo, Remus went on to a place we don't know yet." Patton said, "people believe they go different places and some think they stay here, with us."

"Is Remus gonna come back?" Virgil whispered.

"I'm sorry Virge." Logan sighed softly, hugging the ten year old, "he can't come back."

"It'll be okay Virge." Roman said, also hugging his younger brother.

Remus sat on the floor, silent tears streaming down his face. It hurt. It really hurt.

Remus wiped his eyes dry. He would be okay, he repeated to himself. Everything would be okay.