26

T.W.: death

"Dads? Are you okay?" Virgil asked, walking into the barn, "you've been in here a while, we're starting to get worried."

Logan nodded while holding a sobbing Patton, "We'll be okay."

"What happened?" The sixteen year old walked over to his parents.

"Virgil and Roman passed away last night." Logan told his son, "we were expecting it soon but..."

"You didn't think it would be this soon, huh?" Virgil sighed, sitting down.

Logan shook his head, "also... your grandfather got into a car accident... he's in critical condition."

"What?" Virgil whispered, blinking back the sudden wave of tears, "b-but Grandpa Thomas is gonna make it, right?"

"We don't know." Logan told the boy, hugging his husband closer.

"N-no! We just lost Virgil and Roman! We can't loose Grandpa Thomas too!" Virgil sniffed.

"Virgil, i-it's going to be okay." Patton whispered, looking up from Logan's chest.

"B-but-"

"It's going to be okay." Patton said in a firmer voice, "we will be okay."

"Patt-" Logan tried to interrupt.

Patton took a deep breath, "it's like a light switch. Their switch turned on, they lived a good life, and then the switch turned off again. Virgil and Roman aren't here anymore. And if Thomas dies, t-then it will be the same. We'll always remember them, but eventually... We'll have to move on."

"Yes." Logan kissed the side of Patton's head, "but it's important to grieve. It's not good to bottle anything up."

Virgil crawled into Patton's lap, hugging him tightly, "We'll be okay."

Patton smiled softly and let out a small laugh, "yeah. Now why don't we go inside and make some coco. Your brothers will need it once they hear the news."

Virgil nodded, and together, they all went inside.