C h a p t e r E i g h t e e n

~ The Reality of Things ~

"Through my fingers, out of sight, how could I have let you go".

~ Martin Garrix & Bonn

Evie

I couldn't look away from Easton's brown eyes as they glowed at me. So much lust and longing was clearly evident, and suddenly, the realization had hit me like a bus. He was actually attracted to me. Easton Woods, the star lacrosse player and elite bad boy who solely ruined my childhood, was actually attracted to me. Enough to actually do this with me.

I've undoubtably known for a while that I was completely and utterly infatuated with this boy who I was currently straddling. I subconsciously knew that since the first day that I met him, but I had never thought in my many years of living that he would have ever feel the same way towards me.

Not because I didn't think of myself as pretty or kind, but because of his past behaviour. It just didn't make sense that he would.

But now things were different.

He leaned forward once again, and I closed my eyes as I waited for his lips to caress my own.

But I was disappointed when the shrill ringing of Easton's phone drew his attention away from me completely and ended that opportunity.

"Fuck", he swore under his breath as he pulled the phone out from behind his back pocket. He swiped the arrow on his phone without a second thought, and answered in a startled voice, "hello?"

The faint sound of a female voice was muffled through the speaker as Easton pressed the phone to his ear. He gave one look at me, but turned away abruptly while he listened to the voice attentively. I didn't need to hear the voice to know who it was, and suddenly a sickening feeling fluttered through my chest at the thought of what had just happened.

A once perfect moment became horrifying as I awkwardly tried to shift my body off of Easton while he was on the phone with Megan. He didn't even look at me as I retrieved my phone from the passenger seat, and made my way out of the vehicle.

I did my best to pull myself together with some dignity as I turned my attention back to the task at hand: walking to my front door.

My body swayed slightly as I put one foot in front of the other, praying to myself that I wouldn't fall.

How stupid of me.

I hugged my arms as I slowly walked to my front door, the liquid courage slowly fading. The longing high was on a decline as I slowly felt myself begin to revolt against the depressant of the alcohol. I became more aware of what I had just done, and with that more horrendous towards my own actions.

Idiot, idiot, idiot!

I continued to mentally scold myself. How could I have let that happen? How could I have let my guard down?

Megan wasn't my favourite person, but that didn't give me the right to be intimate with her boyfriend.

Boyfriend.

I felt my stomach twist in disgust, unfortunately not from the alcohol, but from my own guilt eating me alive. I smacked my head as I slowed to a stop in the middle of my lane way.

I needed to do something. I needed to fix this.

Whatever this was.

I turned around just as Easton slammed the driver door shut, making a hasty exit from his truck, "hey, is everything okay?"