C h a p t e r S i x t e e n

~ It Goes Down Like Water ~

Evie

"No!" I yelled as Mel, a girl playing on the opposing team, flipped the last cup over. My gaze went to Easton, his smile wide as he addressed my shocked and distraught appearance, and I scowled as I turned to Reece. I lightly smacked his arm, "you made us lose!"

"Me? You're the one who took too long to chug your drink!"

I scoffed again as I put my hands on my hips, "well I wasn't the one who messed up THREE TIMES!"

A voice was cleared from across the table, and I just knew that a certain jock was itching to have some fun. My gaze bored into Easton, an action that seemed more like a habit at this point, as he spoke with ease, "why don't you two just accept the fact that you both suck". I gapped at him, and he smiled back with a light chuckle.

"Well, either way it looks like you got dethroned", Reece said as he grabbed my hand. My cheeks flared up, but it wasn't due to the sudden contact. I could feel mocha eyes burning the side of my face from across the table, but I refused to meet them. Reece motioned his head to the kitchen, "come on, let's go get some drinks".

I nodded my head and was ready to leave the burning gaze, but Reece deflated all hope of that notion as we started to walk towards the kitchen, "East, you coming?"

I closed my eyes as his deep voice resonated my hearing, "right behind you", he said.

I couldn't deny that his voice had this surged power over me, that no matter the outcome I loved every phrase that he spoke, but I had to push that feeling away. My feelings were hopeless at this point, and I knew that I had to crush them or else I would surely go insane.

We reached the crowd filled kitchen, and began pushing our way through to the keg that laid on top of the island table. Easton was the first to try pouring beer into his cup, but the amber liquid was scarce. "Fuck", he said as he tapped the side of the keg, a loud echo sounded, "looks like we got the shit end of the stick. Did you bring anything else to drink?" He asked Reece.

Reece nodded his head in response, "yeah I grabbed a few extra beer for tonight", he said making his way to the hallway. He stopped beside me and wiggled his eyebrows as he poked my nose, "and I got a surprise just for you".

I laughed as he smiled and walked out into the hallway. My mind was happy for a moment as I wondered what the surprise would be, no doubt some type of alcohol, but my thoughts were redirected as I heard a low voice from beside me. "So, are you liking it here in Winchester?" Easton asked, his eyes kind and gentle.

My heart was beating erratically in my chest, and I cleared my throat hastily, "um, yeah! I actually am a lot. It's great to be around Liv, even though sometimes I think that I'll get deaf with all her screeching", I carelessly laugh.

Easton let his own chuckle sound, and he shook his head with a casual smile, "try being around her for your entire years of elementary, middle and high school".

I laughed as I continued the conversation, "true, I guess I'm lucky that way". I twirled a stray piece of my hair around my finger as a way to keep me distracted from how nervous I felt, "so, do you know when our next study session will be?"

"Someone enjoys my company, don't they?" He said smirking as he absentmindedly flipped his red solo cup around, doing little tricks and flips.

I rolled my eyes as I let my own smile widen, "I just need you to make me smart enough to pass".

"You are smart enough", he said, his voice soft but his eyes serious. He placed the cup on the island table and walked closer to me, making each step closer harder for me to breathe. When he was only a few inches away, he stopped and peered down at me, "we could study tomorrow if you're free?"