C h a p t e r T w e n t y F i v e

~ The Calm Before the Storm ~

"You can cut all the flowers, but you cannot keep spring from coming"

~ Pablo Neruda

Evie

I was utterly surprised when Reece showed up at my house on time to pick Liv and I up for the party.

It was even more surprising when he handed me a bouquet of flowers accompanied by a dazzling smile.

Okay, so maybe this was going to be more like a date and not 'just a hangout' after all.

Oh boy, what had I gotten myself into.

I stood still in the doorway of my house in shock as I tried to process the whole ordeal, meanwhile Reece's smile began to falter once again. "They're for you".

I snapped back into reality as I mentally smacked myself. "And they're lovely. Thanks Reece", I said while reaching to grab them. Another gesture that threw me off guard was when he pulled me into a hug, followed by a light kiss on my cheek. My complexion instantly became rosy, and it took everything in me to ignore the weird feeling inside my gut. "Come on in! Liv is just finishing up getting ready".

We walked through the entrance to my simple home, Reece stopping to look at family photos of my mom and I while I aimlessly searched around the kitchen for a vase.

Reece shortly after followed me into the kitchen and took a seat on one of the island stools while I trudged through the kitchen cabinets, a vase still not in sight. "Hey doll, I couldn't help but notice that it was just you and your mom in the photos".

The rummaging through the cabinet paused as my hand became still. "Uh, yeah", I said unsure how to go about the current conversation, "my dad isn't really around".

There was a dead silence as I stared into the darkness of wood, not wanting to look back towards Reece. "Hey it's okay doll, you don't need to explain".

I sighed in relief as I turned around, "It's not that I don't want to-"

But Reece threw his hand up to silence me. "Evie, seriously, you don't have to talk about it", his voice gentle and kind.

I let my shoulders drop as a small smile surfaced its way onto my lips, "okay".

"What's happening party people? Who's ready to get blackout?" Liv yelled as she sashayed her way into the kitchen. "Are those flowers?"

"No, it's a dildo", I said rolling my eyes with a smile.

"Oh, I see how it is", Liv said running towards me with her tiny hands held high, "that deserves a boob smack".

"Olivia!" I laughed as I attempted to dodge her blows while also trying to protect the flowers.

Reece's confused gaze shifted back and forth between Liv and I while we screeched in laughter. "Huh, I can't tell if I'm getting scared by this, or if it's turning me on".

We both rolled our eyes at Reece's comment, the hint of a smile almost reaching both of our lips. Liv finally stopped her attack on me, and I filled up a vase that was hiding on top of the fridge. "Okay, we good to go now?"

"I'm ready when you are", Liv said cracking open one of her canned drinks. "Courtney said that her and Natalie will be there in twenty. If we leave now we should get there at the same time as them".

"Alright ladies, then let's hit the road".

We made our way to Reece's car, my blood pumping for the exciting night ahead, but also for the uncertainty that could arise. I didn't know how Megan would handle the news, but I was preparing myself for her worst behaviour.