C h a p t e r T w e n t y T w o

~ The Art of Pheromones ~

"What you imagine you create, what you feel you attract, and what you believe you become"

~ Buddha

Evie

"And thus, it is these chemical compounds that reiterate the focus of various species to their desired mating counterparts", I mumbled to myself as my eyes shifted to focus on the words that I scribbled in my notebook.

Whoever this psychologist was, they clearly were claiming a hoax because if this so called pheromone law actually applied, then I would surely know what I wanted.

But no, the human species was just too damn complicated.

"A species will subconsciously notice a scent that is appealing to them, and further more go to great lengths to detect and acquire their mate". I rolled my eyes as I continued to write down notes, "such bullshit".

It was about six-thirty in the evening. Two hours since Liv and Courtney had left me alone in the café to dwell in the puddle of biology homework that I pursued to complete, and by now, my body was fuelled only by coffee and scones. What a healthy dinner.

Considering that my mom was at work, and I was still getting comfortable with our little town home, this was my second little safe haven. It was filled with people all the time, and I quite enjoyed the presence of others. It made me feel less lonely.

The bell above the door jingled again, a sound that I had audibly tuned out with the help of the music blaring through my headphones, but from my peripheral vision I caught site of something much more appealing. I let out a gulp.

Easton stood in the lineup, dressed in a black tee that comfortably hugged his biceps and slimmed his waist, while his dark denim jeans and classic maroon vans gave off skater boy vibes. And of course, he had on a reverse baseball cap. Something that always, and I mean always, made his already hot appearance that much more attractive.

I looked down at my own attire; I had yet to change out of my typical catholic school girl kilt and polo half zip. I sighed as I pulled my kilt further down to cover my thighs, and peeked another glance towards the cash.

There was no way that I was getting any work done with him in the room.

Like a nosy teen, I removed one earbud to focus on the conversation between Easton and his now-known-to-be aunt. "Well if it isn't one of my best employees", Shirley beamed as she made her way around the counter to hug Easton.

He hugged her back with a laugh. "Aunt Shirley, I haven't worked here in two years".

"Well technically you're going to be an employee again, at least for a little while anyway" she smiled as she pulled away and grabbed a cloth to start wiping some tables. Eastin nodded with a small smile as he glanced around the café. I quickly turned my attention back to my homework, and lifted up my textbook to shield my view from Easton.

"Did you need me to start tonight?" I heard Easton ask, his deep voice causing goose bumps to form on my skin.

"No, Celine came in to work tonight and Frank is still here until his surgery next week. So we don't need you to start until then".