Chapter 9: Trials

(AN: Sith Windu got me like :0 -Rach)

"Keep your mind sharp, Younglings. You may ignite your lightsabers," Alana said, clapping her hands.

Master Plo sat to the side of the room, letting Alana take over the lightsaber training for the Younglings, as she had been busy for a few months, watching and helping in his class of Younglings. They were all spread out over the room, their lightsabers in hand and helmets over their heads. As they ignited them, they began to turn in circles.

Alana then released three of the robotic practice droids and stepped back, watching as the students all seemed to follow it. She toured around the room, watching as they stood, trying to focus their minds.

"Have patience and listen. Reach out to the Force and

The droids maneuvered their way around the room, looking for their next target, splitting up. Alana watched as one of the droids made a beeline for the young Cathar, Sylvan, who Alana had been keeping a close eye on over the past months.

The girl was sharp with both her actions and her words and was quick to her emotions, just as Alana had once been. She hoped that one day whoever her Master was would teach and help her to learn better ways of conducting herself.

Alana watched as Sylvan began to swing her lightsaber viciously in the general direction of the droid, which easily swept out of her sweeping blows before going over to another Youngling. Alana raised an eyebrow and made her way around the room to Sylvan.

"Sylvan," Alana spoke, causing Sylvan to jump. "Remove your helmet."

The child's shoulders slumped forward at Alana's words, and she lowered her lightsaber, turning it off and placing it on the floor. She struggled with the helmet for a second before removing it and looking at Alana, who had knelt on the ground beside the child.

"Do you know why I asked you to remove your helmet?" Alana asked.

"Yes," Sylvan replied. Alana urged her to go on. "It's because I failed at destroying the droid."

"Yes, you did fail," Alana said. "But failure is something you need to learn to use to your advantage," she added. "If you fail, you must learn why and try to understand it for next time."

"But if I fail and someone were to die-"

"Whoa, there little one, you have many many years to fail and learn before then," Alana said. "When you become a Jedi Knight, you will come to see that your failures become lesser and lesser all the time, and that all of the things you've learned bring you to better yourself in the end. In the meanwhile, do you know what you did wrong when the droid came?"

"Not really, I tried to hit it, but I just wasn't fast enough."

"It's not that you weren't fast enough, it's that you were too fast. The droid knew that an inexperienced person would attack immediately, so it avoided your blows. The key is to startle it by being patient, and it will make a wrong move," Alana said. "Now, put your helmet on and try again."

Sylvan obeyed and put her helmet on, and Alana sent a droid towards the Youngling as she made her way back to Master Plo.

"Let's see how she does now," she said to Master Plo.

Sylvan sensed the droid approaching and turned to face it, her helmet causing her to reach out and use the Force. This time, instead of attacking immediately, she did as Alana asked and waited. The droid spun around, preparing to send a mock blaster shot, and Sylvan attacked as it was unguarded, sending the droid crashing to the ground.

"Excellent," Master Plo commented.

"Very good," Alana agreed.

Suddenly there was a knock at the door, and Alana looked to see Master Windu and Master Yoda at the door, peering in. They motioned for her to approach them, and Alana took off, leaving Master Plo to conduct the rest of the lesson.