Chapter 11: The Calling

(AN: Alana's old house, on the left. Now abandoned -Rach)

A darkly lit house on the outskirts of Naboo was lit up suddenly.

Ophrion and Shmi Skywalker woke up with a start to hear someone downstairs, shuffling around.

"Ophrion-" Shmi hissed. "Who's there?"

Ophrion jumped up and snuck to their bedroom door, cracking it open and look around outside. He pursed his lips when he recognized two figures coming up the stairs towards Alana's old bedroom. When they went inside, Ophrion shut the door quietly.

"Shmi, get out of here." Ophrion hissed. "Get help."

"I won't leave without you!"

"You have to go," he insisted. Shmi made way to the window and began to open it, trying to escape onto the roof, when suddenly someone appeared at the window, their face shrouded in darkness. She screamed, startled by the intruder who kicked her out of the way and entered the house.

"Where is she," the figure hissed, ignoring Shmi who was laying on the ground, whimpering in pain. It made its way over to Ophrion, who backed towards the door, when the door opened behind him, trapping him in the middle of the room.

"Where is who?" He asked, looking over at Shmi, willing her to get up and get out of there. "What's going on."

"Your daughter,"  the voice hissed. "Where is she?"

"I don't know who you're talking about," Ophrion gulped, when suddenly, something gripped at his throat, an invisible force, beginning to choke him.

"Where. Is. She," the voice repeated.

"I'll never tell you,"  Ophrion choked out.

"Then I suppose I will just have to ask your wife," the voice said, dropping him to the ground and turning to Shmi. As he approached, about to grab her, Ophrion spoke.

"No, wait," he coughed, gasping for air. "She's gone. The Jedi came this morning."

"You weren't supposed to let her go. We had a deal," the voice hissed, going to him and kneeling beside Ophrion.

"I lied," he said.

"So I see," the voice responded. "You know how we repay liars?"

Suddenly, a blaster shot came out of nowhere, shooting Ophrion in the back. The voice hissed and stood, looking over at their companion, their rage tangible in the thick air.

"No!" Shmi screamed, seeing Ophrion's blood pooling on the floor beneath him.

"Look what you've done," the voice hissed. They sighed and threw over a bag of coins before looking back at Shmi. "That should be enough to cover your services. And her termination."

The person stormed off, down the steps and out of the house, their duty done.

Meanwhile, Shmi laid, cowering in the corner, the image of her dead husband burnt into her eyes. She couldn't imagine what would have happened to Alana if she had been there.

"Come, get rid of her," one of the bounty hunters said. "We have to get out of here before something happens."

The other bounty hunter looked down at Shmi and narrowed his eyes. "We could make even more money, you know," he replied, a smirk forming on his mouth. "I say we sell her to the Hutts. The guy will never know."

They exchanged glances before laughing. One of the bounty hunters approached Shmi, who backed away. He reached down to grab her, and she hit him.