eleven.

11|PICNIC

The knife went down repeatedly, slicing through the pink flesh, blood oozing out the brain. Winter happily hummed an old song as she chopped up the brains, throwing them into the frying pan as she stir fried them up. Moving on to the vegetables next, she cut them into chopsticks.

"That smells good." Chase called out as he walked into the house, hanging his coat up and wandering into the steamed up kitchen.

"I'm making stir fry, thought you deserved a home made meal." Winter smiled as he placed small kisses on her neck, his hands wrapping around her waist.

"You're amazing." He turned her head so she would face him and kissed her passionately, ignoring her protests about burning the food.

"Chase, not now." She moaned, pushing him away as she cooked the noodles. Quickly serving the meal up in two bowls and placing them on to the glass dining table.

"You really are amazing." Chase immediately devoured his food, looking for seconds.

"Theres a chocolate cake cooling in the fridge." She informed him, knowing he would be smiling widely at that comment.

~•~

Clutching the bag closer to her body, Winter followed down the same route she always went down to reach his office, ignoring the looks soldiers sent her.

Dusting down her dress, Winter knocked on the glass door and entered before hearing his answer.

"I thought I-"

"I brought lunch." She cut him off, watching as he head shot up from his pile of paperwork. Dumping the bag on one of the sofas, she straddled his waist and kissed him, his hands gripping her thighs as the deepened the kiss.

"I'd much rather eat you." He winked suggestively, hands sneaking up her dress, groping her ass.

"You'll have to wait till we go home." Winter kissed the corner of his lip before getting off his lap and fixing the skirt of her dress. "I brought brain tube and potato pie with hot sauce and eton mess."

"I really do love you."

"I know."

"I have to quickly check up on Lillywhite then I'll come join you." He informed her, leaving a peck on her cheek and walking to the door.

"Can I come?" She asked meekly. "I haven't seen Major in a while."

"Of course." The pair walked through the clinically white halls, towards a room filled with young teenagers who were all sucking on brain tubes.

"Lillywhite." Chase announced, dragging the man away from talking with one of the teenagers. "How's it coming along?"

"Uh....it's a bit of a mixed bag." Major answered, giving Winter a small hug.

"Any standouts?"

"Standouts in what way?" The soldier questioned, maintaining eye contact with his superior.

"In that "I'd want this zombie in a fox hole with me" way." Chase explained, folding his arms. His eyes quickly darted down to the woman beside him, her head lost in the clouds.

"Ah." Major sighed in realisation. "So, that's what this is about"

"In case you missed it, Major, we're hanging on by a very thin thread." Chases voice lowered in a dangerous way. "We don't have enough trained soldiers to control this city."

"These kids aren't trained."

"Then they'll have to learn on the job." Winters head snapped up to stare at her fiances face, her eyes wide with surprise. He wanted to send these children into a war zone. "So, who's in the fox hole with you?"

"Captain Seattle. Jordan." Major turned around and called out to the teenagers. "Over here."

"Are you sure?" Chase questioned, watching Major to read his expression.

"Not really, sir." He revealed and looked over to the two teenagers now by his side. "Jordan Gladwell, Fisher Webb, this is Chase Graves and his fiance, Assistant Medical Examiner Winter Snow."

"I get a fancy introduction." Winter grinned, shaking hands with the two surprised teenagers.

"Big kahuna." Jordan happily shook Chases hand as she realised who he was, his reputation was well known by all.

"I'd just asked Lillywhite here who he thought had the right stuff to be a soldier at Fillmore-Graves." Chase informed them while Winter smiled brightly at them. "For whatever reason, he sees something in the two of you. So, until you wash out, get killed or usurp me, you'll be working for us. You'll be charged with keeping the peace in this experimental city. Can I count on you?"

"Yes, sir." They both answered.

"You'll be in Major's squad. Teach you everything you need to know to survive out there. Don't screw up." With that said, Chase placed his hand on Winter's lower back and led her out the room.

"They are going to make loyal soldiers." Winter hummed her thoughts.

"How can you tell?"

"I just know." Turning to face the man she laced her hand in his. "I hope lunch is still warm."

"I don't care what temperature it is, you made it so I will eat it." Chase leaned down and kissed her temple before continuing to walk back to his office, smirking to himself as he saw the blush dusting her cheeks.

"Who knew you were a romantic." She stooped and made him turn to look at her. Going on to her tippy toes, she kissed his jawline and moved away, walking away quickly.

"I'll get you back for that." He called out after her, smiling to himself.