Chapter 9: The Anwhistle Fallout

Begin!

~Beatrice's POV

It started like any normal day. I visited Bertrand while he was working, I'd spend time helping with minor things around headquarters, it seemed peaceful enough, but that was going to change. And it was going to change in a way that I didn't think was even possible. I was in my office when I got a knock on the door. I opened it to reveal my brother Isaac, or Ike as we called him.

"Hi Bea."

"Hey Ike," I replied smiling, "What's up?"

"I just got a call from Greg. He wants to invite us to his facility. Said it was important for whatever reason. He said he'd like it if Hector came too, being family and all, so we'll pick him up on the way."

Hector was our half-brother; he's 2 years younger than me and doesn't have the same mom as me and my brothers. Our parents split when Greg and Ike were 10, (they're twins) and I was 9. Two years prior to the split, our father had Hector with a woman from a village out in the Hinterlands, which was why our parents divorced once mom found out. Hector currently lived with his mom. We didn't have anything against him though.

Gregor was a very influential scientist for our organization, he ran one of our facilities out on a small island in the ocean situated above the Gorgonian Grotto. (Many of our secret research places were hidden well on the water; less crowded than the city.)

"When should we head over?"

"Sometime today, he suggested around dinner," Ike said, "We'll take my speedboat from the port."

I agreed to this plan; I haven't seen my brother in a long while. Ever since he started up the Anwhistle Aquatics facility he's been too busy to visit, unless it's on business. Such was the price of being a volunteer.

~...

Once Ike and I had picked up Hector we had made our way down to the port on the other side of the Mortmain Mountains. I saw Josephine waiting for us there and she gave Ike the keys to their boat and waved us goodbye.

"Any idea what he wants," Hector asked.

"He didn't say, I assume it's not just a social visit though," Ike replied.

I relaxed in the seat of the boat as we sped towards our destination. "How have you and Josie been, Ike?"

Ike smiled, "Perfectly fine, yesterday we went scuba diving with sharks."

"I always said you two were meant for each other in that way," Hector said jokingly, "You're both so fearless it's practically fate."

Ike rolled his eyes, "What about you Bea, how are things with this Bertrand guy?"

"I don't think that's any of your business, boys," I said calmly.

"Well he'd better watch himself. You're the one who knows how to sword-fight."

I laughed, "Bertie is an angel. He'd never do anything out of line!"

"Just making sure, Bea."

Once we arrived at the island, we got off the boat and found Gregor waiting for us outside. He gave us a small smile and welcomed us into his building. It was a large place, filled with many people working diligently on projects that were designed to help the world. I would soon find out that this was not why Gregor brought us here.

"So what's the big deal, Greg," Ike asked, "Why'd you drag us out here?"

"I'll show you in a bit," Gregor replied glancing at his watch, "For now we have just enough time to have some dinner before this presentation.