Chapter 28: Catching Up

Begin!

~Beatrice's POV

Bertrand and I had climbed onto the submarine with considerable difficulty. I'll remember to be careful getting back off the ship too. Once situated we knocked on the hatch asking for entrance. From a loudspeaker I heard Sammie's voice ask for a password. I've actually never boarded the Queequeg before and I don't recall Sammie saying such a thing was needed. Thankfully, we were able to make an easy guess.

"The world is quiet here."

Without another word, the hatch opened and Bertie helped me inside first. Climbing a ladder wasn't easy in my current state, but I managed. Upon the two of us reaching the bottom, we took a moment to examine our surroundings. I think Bertie was fascinated by the machinery around him, which I found adorable in a way.

"Bea!"

I smiled as Sammie had come to greet us in the hall. She quickly gave me a hug. She was wearing some sort of red uniform with a picture of Herman Melville on the front, complete with a special sailor hat. Though something tells me that she wasn't just considered a member of the crew around here, she was more important than that, the uniform was likely a choice. I noticed she also had on a lovely ruby necklace, I guessed that it must have been a wedding present from John. It was nice to see my friend again; it gave me a serious mood boost regardless of how the world had changed since we last spoke. She gave Bertie a friendly hug as well before taking a step back and noticing my condition.

"There's something different about you, I can't quite place what it is."

I rolled my eyes. "Yes, Sammie, I'm pregnant, I've been very aware of this fact for months."

Sammie smirked. "I was gonna say your hair is longer, but now that you mentioned it-"

"Very funny," I interrupted. "Anyway, will you guys mind taking us to Briny Beach? We could use staying in a more comfortable environment for the rest of our trip."

"Of course you can stay! You think we'd just toss you back out in the middle of nowhere? I already asked John and he said it was fine. He's in his office answering some telegrams."

"Do you mind if I ask him about any news from the Duchess," Bertie asked. "It'd be nice to get a full report first hand we haven't had much to go off of in the past year."

Sammie nodded. "Down the stairs first door on the right." Once Bertie left she smiled at me. "When was the last time you ate today?"

"Not yet," I replied sheepishly.

She told me to follow her downstairs to the kitchen. And she scolded me about keeping my diet up for my baby's sake. I didn't mind; she was right after all. We walked past an open bedroom door, where I saw her son Fernald lounging on a bed reading a book, about marine biology I noticed, while little Fiona was sitting on the floor within his line of sight playing with a plush seal toy.

Once Sammie and I had reached the kitchen she asked, "So do you know what you're having?"

I sat down on a stool at the counter, "Not yet, we didn't have a chance to find out unfortunately."

She poured me a glass of water. "Some would say that's more exciting to not know until it's here. Either way, if you don't let your kid be friends with Fiona I'll be very insulted."

I snorted. "As if I would ever say otherwise! I'm sure they'll be very close."

She continued talking as she started cooking something for me. "Well, unless you're having a boy, then you have to get permission from my boys first."