Chapter 41: Making Plans

Begin!

~Karen's POV

When I put the microphone back into its stand I stepped down from the stage, feeling like all the blood had rushed to my cheeks given how many cheers and hollars I got from that announcement. I walked up to Quinten who was staring dumbfounded at me.

"Well? Aren't you gonna say something?"

Quinten blinked out of his trance. "I... you... we're having a kid?"

"Yes!" I replied grinning widely.

Next thing I knew, Quinten picked me up and kissed me full on the mouth in front of everyone; who were all still watching. It didn't help my embarrassment, but I kissed him back happily. We opted to ignore the sounds of everyone else around us.

Once he finally put me down, he went into full on protective mode; mainly ensuring I hadn't had anything to drink earlier, which I obviously didn't. I dragged him over to where Bea and Bertrand were sitting with Violet. We sat down with them and Bea gave me the picture she took of Quinten's reaction. I'll be sure to frame it when we get home! For the rest of the party people would come over to us to congratulate our happy news. (Even Lemony and Moxie were here, and clearly Lemony had to have informed Moxie about why this was particularly special for us since she hadn't known. But she was happy for us too.)

~...

"Honey, you don't have to worry about baby-proofing the house right away..."

"But if I wait too long I might forget!"

I pinched my nose in frustration. He was freaking out the whole way home. I suppose it's good that he was excited, but he needed to calm down.

"Quinten everything is going to be fine! You can relax, we won't even know what we're having for a while."

This seemed to give him an idea. "Ok um, how about we talk about what we might want to name it? I mean this is something you've wanted for a long time so you must have some names picked out too..."

I smiled. "Well, it's a little embarrassing, but yes I have some ideas. I've always admired Isadora Duncan, she's my favorite dancer... So if we have a girl we could name her Isadora, and if it's a boy then we'll name him Duncan."

Quinten grinned widely, "That would be perfect!"

"You don't mind that? I know it's a little random."

"Karrie, I don't mind. I think those choices are perfect and anyone who says otherwise is just being difficult."

"Heh, well if you like them too then we'll use them."

We agreed to think about middle names later, right now I needed to make an appointment to get a sonogram. I wanted to see that everything was ok before anything else happened.

~...

The first doctor visit scared me to say the least. I think part of me worried that I wasn't pregnant after all and should have taken a third test to prove it. But this was relieved immediately since I was really pregnant. This was real, I was truly going to have a baby! I was so happy thinking about it I almost cried again.

Around the 11th week of the pregnancy, it was time for my first ultrasound, in the hopes that we'd see what we're having. Unlike Bea and Bertrand, who didn't get to find out until they had Violet, Quinten and I very much wanted to know what we were expecting so we could prepare accordingly. But since Quinten had to work with Bertrand on V.F.D. business, Bea came with me to the medical ward instead for support.

"Are you nervous," Bea asked, as we waited for the doctor to come back for the procedure.

"Anxious would probably be the better term..." I replied shakily.