Chapter Thirteen

Eydis

Two weeks pass in seonds it seemed, the renonwn King herald and his wife had taken up residency and quite frankly had begun to make my life hell. The sickness had grown worse, the bucket next to the bed placed by Thorsten. Every morning around noon I slumped out of my bed to the river, swam, ate and entertained guests and slept. The routine had grown tedious as did the lack of Meili himself. I wiped away the bile from the corners of your mouth and took a sip of the water.

Audhild opened the door holding the hot broth and a fresh rag. "Eydis, Meili has called for you, dress yourself and come to his call." She touched my forehead and wiped my face, "You look sick."

"You do not have to do this Audhild." I swatted away her hand and slid the wooden bucket to the wall.

"King Meili is concerned for you, I have heard him say it, I heard him talking."

"Perhaps that's why he has chosen not to see me in four days?" I was usually guarded with my words, giving Meili the upmost respect even when I was not in his presence, but it grew harder to do so of late. My eyes welled as the erratic emotions surged once more and I could not stop crying. I wanted to go back to the other hall. It was beautiful there, calm and serene.

"I will send word to King Meili that you are missing him, my dear Eydis."

"Please, do not." I huffed.

"Then what can I do to help you." Audhild looked to me in concern as she gathered the bucket and my clothes from the room. "What would you have me tell him?"

"You can tell him that I hear him with the slave King Harald every night. They laugh and he kisses her and I lay alone wondering why. I hate him." My voice broke. "Get out!" My voice rung through the walls. "Please." Your voice stills. "I would like to be alone."

"Fine," Audhild threw her hands up in defeat and left the room.

I had to leave, if I stayed another moment longer I would lose my mind. I gathered the flagon of mead, the bread and the three green apples from the table. I tossed them in my bag and grabbed the cloak from the chair and head out of the door. Upon entering the hall I see him, his head propped in the lap of the new slave.

Her slanted eyes were an oddity, she looked down at him, her slender fingers running through his brown hair. His eyes cut over to me and he sat up from his seat. "Eydis, you are awake." He smiled.

This time I do not yield for him, I bolt out of the Great Hall with no intention of stopping. The fat drops of rain start to pour on my head, but it doesn't hinder me. I sift through the people and I can still hear King Meili. I hit the corner and I know I am out of his line of site, bustling through people to get away. My hand rests on my stomach and I do not look back. I needed to get away, even if it was for an hour. His face at last glance looked deeply worried as if I was planning to leave him permanently. I cheered inside for a moment with the thought that he would miss me if I was not there. I found a place on the shore and stripped down to bathe. I stepped into the water watching the sun slowly disappear at the horizon and the cold water rushes me and I feel vibrance and for a while... peace.