Chapter Twenty-Seven

Eydis

The atmosphere was odd in our home; Meili played on the floor with children as if there was no care in this world but more bothered me. I watched from my throne, wondering why there had been no word from Thorsten, wondering why there were still ships at the edge of our shores, and everyone seemed content. This malicious act gave me everything but comfort. Perhaps Meili had reached a state of shock from where he couldn't comprehend that danger was on our doorstep.

Sigtrygrr took a seat next to me, brandishing his bow and arrow on his back as if he was leaving this very minute to go practice. I hated the idea of him practicing archery without Geoffrey or Meili at his side, especially now, but he was coming into his own, and being grouped with the younger children no longer suited him.

"You are scared." He whispered.

"Never scared, only worried," I answered. "Are you scared?"

"I have no reason to be scared surrounded by the Asgard's greatest warriors." He chuckled.

I twiddled my fingers. "Siggy, may I ask you something, and you give me your complete an honest answer."

"Yes."

"If Meili allowed you the choice, would you go with your mother?"

He sighed. "She is my mother." Sigtrygrr smiled. The small remarkably likely his father's that rarely made an entrance.

"Yes," I paused. I would never ask Erik or Thor to chose between Meili and me, the pain of doing so brought me to the edge of tears. "It is why I ask you, I have never thought to ask what you think in all of this."

"I love my mother, dearly, but I also love my father. It is a choice I do not want to make."

"I understand."

"I love you as well, Eydis." He smiled at me.

"and I love you, my King." I take him in my arms, realizing that the one factor Meili and I had left out of it was the children. "Are you going to practice?"

"If you and father will let me? Geoffrey is near the square." Siggy beamed when he stood up from his seat.

"I do not mind," I answered.

"Thank you."

Meili looked over admirably, taking his eyes from Esme and Erik for only a split second and gave me an inquisitive nod? His eyes asking if I was okay, the nod pleading for an answer. I nod back at him, "Good." He mouthed. "You are going to be the strongest shieldmaiden that ever lived, you know that?"

Esme thwacked her father with the play sword again, and then Erik joined her in the fighting. I stood following Siggy towards the door. "I am going to take a walk. Can you handle the brood?"

"They are fine." He answered. "Stay close," Meili added. "Both of you!"

I waved at them, heading out the door; Siggy was already at the square meeting Geoffrey with a hug. I pulled the cloak over my head, hoping the mist of rain would stop, and perhaps I would get to enjoy the peace and quiet not drenched in water. I started down the narrow alleyways and finally made it to the one place I found some peace, the overlook had a view of the entire kingdom, the shores, and small houses. It all appeared small to us while we were inside but looking at it here, I always remembered that this place was why we were fighting. I sat down perched at the top, exhaling and reminiscing on the times when I was younger, naive to what would be mine.

Had Thorsten asked me to kill Meili during my first year here, I would have jumped at the opportunity for him to cut his throat and bleed him dry, but it was significantly different. He was no longer a tyrant molding me into his perfect slave; Meili was a father, my husband, and now my best friend. There was nothing but love and admiration there; this standstill cannot last, rather Meili liked it or not; I had to do something.