Chapter Eighteen

Eydis

There was no comfort for me, not for the first few days of returning home. Throughout the halls of the hall, I could still hear her cheerful laughter and her singing, those were the times I wished for more than Gyda. Gyda was a spy for Meili, I was confident. Her curious eyes and stoic presence left me at unease. Meili was a rare occurrence, and I knew why my heart screamed for me to hate him. Yet every time I started down at Erik, I knew it was not in my heart for me to do so. Staying away from him was the best answer.

Thorsten was always around, even if it was in passing. He sat on the steps of the great hall with Erik in his arms. The warm sun beamed down on the two of them, but somehow he kept him from being cranky.

"Morning," He bounced Erik on his knee, and his eyes met mine. "How are you?"

"I am well." I take the seat next to him, the wood creaking beneath me as I sat down. "When did you arrive? Gyda told me nothing of your arrival."

"Gyda has been busy working. She fed the animals, washed your dresses, and cleaned the other rooms all while you slept."

"She is quick."

"I came to see you because I missed you, your smile, and the way you were before he," Thorsten paused.

"I smile every time I see you, so I believe you are in luck."

"The gods favor me, after all."

I laughed. "It seems so." I pushed his hair behind his ear noticing how long it had grown since I first met him. "I am happy you favor me, Thorsten, it appears you are my savior."

"The honor is mine, I find you worth saving." Thorsten playfully handed me, Erik. "Isn't that right young Viking."

"Thank you," I whispered.

"There is no need to thank me, Lady Eydis." Thorsten leaned against the wooden beam. "I am told Princess Esme has been sworn to Erik Erikson of Denmark when she is older." Thorsten paused. "It is for an alliance that will help in his pursuits.

My heart dropped at the thought of using children for alliances. Meili was building power; it was his way of making his mark on the world. "he has promised Erik to no one, right?"

"No, not that I am privileged to the information; your King hates me."

"Meili loves no one."

"But, you love him."

"I do not want to talk about him, Thorsten. Please."

"What must he do for you to understand that he is not worthy of your love? He chose to have you dead. Had it not been for Aud and her love of the gods, your blood would have stained the wooden altar. He does not care that you bore his child. He does not care for anyone but Meili."

"I am defending him."

"Then, why?"

"I am no one," I answered. The thought of leaving Meili passed my mind several times, but the chances of it being successful with my son were slim. "I hold no value, not even to his people."

"Then you must change it, make yourself a value. Hiding here is not going to make them love you. It makes them think you are cowardice. You share none of their struggles, you have drawn a sword for them, you have not shed blood for them. They will never call you Queen, and even if they did, they would never mean it."

"Thanks." My voice cracked. I had thought of each of the things he said. Hearing them aloud made me cringe.

"So, first we make you loved."