Chapter Twenty-Three

Meili

Eydis sat on the edge of the bed, rubbing her stomach, the beautiful stretch marks prominent on the sides. She barely slept, which meant I barely slept. I touched the line of her spine, and she moaned. "Do not make me stay here any longer."

"One more time will not hurt you," I mumbled as I leaned over to her. My teeth gently grazed her supple skin. "Stay." I moved behind her, cradling her against my chest. She craved me. I loved that she couldn't get enough.

"What abo-," she stopped talking when my hands intertwined in hers. "Meili," she whispered.

"What?"

"Here, they come." Eydis giggled as the patter of their feet, grew closer to our bedroom. Esme with Erik on her heels wobbling with each step.

"I tried to stop them." Sigtrygrr laughed.

"I am certain you did." I rolled onto my back. "You take Esme and do your duties for me. Then we shall eat."

"We've already milked the cows, father." he rolled his eyes. "It is time to eat."

"Then go get the food."

They all left. "Have you felt him move?"

"I think it is a she," she answered. "And of course, she kicked me all night long, all while Erik kicked you."

"How did you know."

"I heard you talking to him."

"Little fighter he is." I stretched. "We should dress."

"We should." She kissed me lightly.

I took pleasure in the small things with her. I walked to her side of the bed and grabbed the cold rag from the bowl of herbs. The fresh smell of the sage and lavender was soothing. I wiped her face, over her lips, and then down to her chest. "Have you thought of names?"

"I like the name, Arne."

"How about Thor?" I asked and waiting for her reaction. She appeared unsettled, clearing her throat, and then nodding her head. "You do not like the name?"

"No."

"Thor is a god. I like the name."

"We can think about it." She assured me.

Sigtrygrr liked to spar, particularly with his uncle, who showed him no mercy each time he was an opponent. And it didn't stop his willingness to learn when he lost against Leidolf, it only made him fight harder. I admired his determination, eagerness to be a warrior. I sat with young Erik and Esme in the grass, watching the two of them play with each other as I had prayed, they would, everything had started to fall together correctly.

Esme favored her mother, the beautiful locks of curls and dimpled cheeks, while Erik strangely looked like a mirror image of myself. His hair nearly black and eyes stark emerald. His curls were shaggy atop his head, and he always smiled, that he evidently did not get from Eydis or me for that matter. But the gods must have given something to smile about that we didn't know of yet. Eydis smiled more now that her belly was round with child, we were a month shy of her giving birth, and she reminded me each day of the importance of me being there. I did not help her when Erik was born; the memories of Eira holding our stillborn had not yet left my mind and the thought of seeing Eydis that heartbroken was something I refused to bare.

"Look." Esme handed me the bright red flower she'd picked from the outer edges of the field nearby. "Flower."

"It is a flower. It is a beauty like you," I took her in my lap. "Do you want another little brother or sister?"