Chapter Seventeen

Eira

Leidolf's drunken voice was a favorite of mine, he'd sound as he did when we were younger, valiant and full of life. He lay next to me, misted in sweat and shirtless, and yet the only thing he could talk of was Ragnarok.

"It will be glorious." He flourished the sky with his hands and chuckled. His hands then found my waist. He was the brother I should have turned my attention to; instead, the seat of Queen called my name. And in turn, to answer its call, it gave me nothing but a cruel husband and a marriage cursed by the gods.

"Fenrir will swallow the moon, and the earth will be covered in darkness." Leidolf kissed my shoulder playfully. "And we will fight to the death, with a promise to see our fathers in Valhalla." He smiled tenderly down at me and pushed the wild strands of hair from my face.

"Every time you have ale, you speak of Ragnarok." He places his head on my chest, nestling into my breast and then kissing them. "Speak of now."

"Now?" He shook his head. "There is nothing good in this world for us now, woman."

"Not even me," I pressed my finger against his lips. "Think wisely, Chieftan Liedolf."

"My Eira." He groaned. "You think there is something in this world for you? Meili has tossed you aside for a slave..." He paused. "The man you truly love is married, and if I tried to marry you." He said nothing more. The consequence of taking me from Meili would be grievous. He might not treasure the women he owns, but they are his none the less.

"Then we can leave."

"It is not that simple." Liedolf breathed. "I fear there is not a safe place to venture to when it comes to my brother."

"I have family in Sweeden, my mother and father were warriors. We could go there."

"And Sigtrygrr and Esme?"

"They are my children, they will come too."

"You must be drunk as well." He huffed. "Sigtrygrr is kept away from you, even now. Allowed to visit when he isn't learning the ways of the gods and to be a true Viking. Meili does not want the children attached to you, my love. For if they are attached to you, the disposable of a Queen is harder. But if the children's allegiances are to their father, then what use does he have for you?"

"Meili would never."

"Meili already has," He spat. "He wishes to take every shred of happiness from anyone around him. He seeks to make you miserable."

"Then, he has succeeded."

"I fear he has," Liedolf reached across the bed to the pitcher of ale and poured him another glass. "I have a plan to make him see the error of his way." He admitted. "Something that will make him see that pain is not only for those he wills it to."

"What have you done?" I laughed.

"What needed to be done." He shrugged. "he tried to take something from me."

"What?"

"Audhild." He shrugged.

"The slave."

"She is mine," Liedolf growled.

"All of you are the same." I pushed him away from me. "Unsatisfied men."

"One woman isn't enough to quench a thirst, just as your husband has never been enough to quench yours." He shrugs. "Say that you are upset and mad, all you like... If it weren't true, you would not sleep in my bed tonight."

"I slept in your bed because you are a friend."

"Just your friend?"

"Just an ass." I barked.