Chapter Twenty-Five

Thorsten

The shores of Jutland were tense; along the coastline rest ten boats filled with unsettled warriors bearing a flag I did not recognize. The message had come weeks prior from Meili; he needed me in his reach for a potential threat. It' been years since I'd heard from him or Eydis, and now I would be greeted by the throws of blood. My stomach turned as I swigged down another gulp of the ale and jumped from the ship.

"We will take the East Entrance to the kingdom, we do not know who they are," I whispered to my men.

They all agreed, the gods had blessed me with men who were fearless and indeed ready to face any battle as long as there was one. I enjoyed their company, and they liked the spontaneity of it all, I was confident. We moved through the light brush that peppered the perimeter of the city and then approached the gates. The people inside were lively, singing, and throwing axes.

"State your name!"

"I am Thorsten." I smiled. "Tell your King, I have arrived."

The doors opened without hesitation, and Meili awaited me, his arms folded, and a smirk upon his face. "It has taken you long enough, don't you think?"

I laughed, noticing the small signs of aging on my dear friend's face, the small lines by his eyes, and the beard I had not expected ever to see on his face. "Meili." I grinned. "You truly were waiting for me, were you not?"

"Something told me you would arrive tonight." Meili pulled me in his arms and embracing me fully. "There is much that you have missed."

"Like?"

"Sigtrygrr has his armband now, a young man, and is training with Liedolf. Erik is growing fast along with his brother Thor."

"Three sons. You are indeed a lucky man."

"And two shieldmaidens to be, my lovely Esme and the youngest Kali."

Eydis had been busy. I bit my lip. "I am happy to see that you are thriving." We moved through the streets, talking amongst one another as if this was not a matter of urgency. "There are men docked at your shore as if they are ready for war?"

"I have noticed." Meili grimaced. "Men from the Baltics under the rule of Queen Eira and her King Haestan."

"Haestan." I rolled my eyes. "the man you should have killed Haestan?"

"I should have killed many."

"He is your biggest mistake," I add. "I begged for you to allow me to kill him for you if hadn't the strength."

"You were right, is that what you would like to hear?" Meili rubbed his hand over his face and exhaled. "Thorsten, you were right."

I tried to hide my smile, but it was not possible. "Thank you, now let's devise a plan to kill him for good."

"You are still an arrogant asshole."

"I am." I agreed.

Meili climbed the steps of the hall and leaned against the railings. "Over there, Eira and Haestan are asleep or plotting ways to dismantle my life. I thought they would not be a threat, but the way Eydis is panicked, I fear I was wrong."

"How is she?" I asked.

He smiled. "She is actually stronger than I ever could have envisioned her being. Eydis loves our family and me dearly. I owe it to you leaving. I doubt she would have directed any affection towards me if you remained here for her to love." Meili never had a problem being honest, and in his honesty, he found a comfort he didn't have when I was here before; his words weren't spoken from fear, just certainty.