Chapter Twenty-Two

Eydis

sometimes during the night, I could hear everything, the wail of mother's in birth, the drunkard at the steps of the hall, and even the moans of lovemaking in the slave chambers. I was envious of it at times, they were wild and free. I missed being wild and free. But when I dreamed, I felt it because Thorsten was there. Thorsten, my first thoughts in the morning were of him, always. I wondered where he was and if he thought of me. It was unhealthy to think of him this much, but in his absence, I found myself yearning more than ever.

Meili healed slowly but efficiently. The first week he barely talked, the second week that arrogant confidence made an appearance, and now the beginning of the fifth week, he was fully functioning. But there was something off with me, I did not eat in the mornings, and when I did, it was an apple with no peel and warm milk. Meili had not taken notice of the small changes, but I had, I knew, these changes were not for the better.

Before each harvest, there was a ceremony, awarding the young boys their arm rings and then sacrifice. The service was set for today, the boys had their circles, and the people were celebrating by bringing their offerings to the royal family.

Meili sat on his throne, accessing the crowd as he normally did, listening to conversations of his people along with watching his children play. He was infatuated with them in a way I had never seen before as if nearly dying changed things for him.

"Esme is set to return soon." He bounced Erik on his lap, wiping the small line of drool that ran from his lip. "You will take it to her?"

"I will do as you ask," I assured him. I never wanted Esme to feel as if her mother was being replaced, but Meili did not make things easy. I fully understood the children seen me as a threat, even if they were young. To them, I am a trader, a thief of a crown I never wanted.

"Because you want to?"

"Of course, I love the children, Meili."

"I am certain."

"Then perhaps you should appear as you are certain, King." I stood from the throne, taking Erik from him. I heard the scoff beneath his breath as I descended the steps onto the floor of the great hall.

"Jutland! The queen is angry with me." He smiled, and my heart skipped a beat. Meili, despite his faults, held a special place in my heart, and he was starting to understand what irritated me. Taunting in public with playful intentions is high up on the list.

I pivoted on my heel, staring at him with disbelief. "Wipe that wicked smile from your face King Meili."

"I hate it when you are angry with me." His voice was light, but his eyes pleading with honesty."

"If I was angry with you, you would know it."

"Then, why are you leaving?"

"Because I want to, am I not a free woman?" My eyes rolled. I left the hall with Meili on my heel as I merged into the flowing cluster of people.

"Eydis!"

"What!"

"Are you not going to eat with me?"

"Why are there people constantly in our lives? I want privacy."

Privacy for what? hmmm?" He folded his arms over his chest and blocked me from walking any further. "you have not come to bed with me since before the square. And then you will not allow me to touch you. What is this?"

I said nothing. "I do not feel like being touched by you, Meili."

"Because of Thorsten?"

"Thorsten is no longer your competition." I spat. "He has left, and therefore you have won."