Chapter Twelve

Eira

King Harald had arrived accompanied by his wife, Gudrun. I stared out at the ships on the shore and watched as he received the royal welcome from the people of Jutland. They loved Meili but they also loved Harald. Their admiration poured from the chants and joyous songs that erupted as he made his way to the center of town to the great hall. I stood at the door with Esme at my right and Inge to my left.

"Our guests have arrived

"Our guests have arrived." Meili stood. He had been home two weeks, spending most of his time planning and to my surprise he had not retrieved Eydis. "Ready yourself and our daughter."

I was content with him by my side to say the least. He slept in our bed and talked to me. But I missed Leidolf's company as well. I had not asked him of Leidolf's whereabouts. I just knew he was safe. It was all that he would tell me.

The people of Jutland chanted joyously and sung songs that erupted as he made his way to the center of town to the great hall. I stood at the door with Esme at my right and Inge to my left.

Harald smiled as he met me at the steps. "Queen Eira, what an honor to be in your presence."

"And I yours," I bowed to him. "King Harald it would seem you are married."

"I am, this is Queen Gudrun." He paused with his hand clasped in hers. "The love of my life."

"You're Hall is welcoming." His wife, younger than him without a doubt extended her hand to me. I knew of her, she was a shieldmaiden. Her dark hair was braided to her scalp and she wore a crown, full of jewels and a round belly that protruded out of her olive dress.

Meili appeared beside me. "Harald! You have made ti my friend!"

"He's a better a King than you will ever be!" The soldier erupted from the crowd. He pushed through the crowd revealing himself at the helm of the people. "You hear me! You are a coward! Your people follow a spineless KING!"

"Hold your tongue!" Meili barreled.

I moved Esme behind me as her father marched towards him.

"You disrespect my honor. I challenge you to single hand combat." Meili roared. "Do you accept?"

"Make the SQUARE!" The people chanted.

"I accept!"

The very thought of the combat worried me. One wrong swing and Meili was dead, and with that I would surely be next."

The square was drawn. Meili stood in the middle of it with his ax and shield. "This challenge is to the death!" Harald officiated. "Begin."

Meili quickly struck the man with his ax and he lifted his shield blocking the blow. The man then swung his foot and tripped Meili. Meili went to his feet only to scramble to his sword and grip the hilt. He swung up at him missing. Then the blade slit into Meili's arm and his cry filled the area.