Chapter Twenty-Eight

Meili

Wars were oddities, only because at the end of them there was a clear winner. Yesterday had been a war, but regretfully I was unsure if there was a real victor in it all.

Leidolf sat in the hall, Cnut in his lap and the biggest grin on his face. it was the first time I'd ever seen him hold his new son, and for once in a few years, he looked moderately happy. "Brother," Leidolf said.

"Leidolf, you are here early and sober."

"I have a new son, my wife is happy, and so am I." Leidolf paused. "He is still scared, but I feel that he will grow used to us."

"Your face is quite terrifying." I teased.

"Shut up."

"What was done with their bodies?"

"Eira and Haestan are to be given a King and Queen burial. It is a ritual; they died like warriors. The aesir will welcome them into Vahalla, and they shall feast and fight."

"When is this to be done?"

"Tomorrow, if you will allow it. The people are mourning, but they are also grateful to hear Queen Eydis is breathing. Where is she?" He bounced Cnut on his leg playfully. "I have not seen her."

"She is resting."

"I pray to the gods, you do not fuck it up with her. She seems to have made you human, I wonder if she is a witch."

My eyes roll. "Are you here to constantly insult me, or do you want something?"

"I came for Siggy, my nephew played a hand in killing his mother. I have seen one hundred men die before me but never have I killed my mother. Is he okay?"

"I do not know, nor do I know how to handle it, what can I do to console him?"

"Allow him space, to see the gothi if need be, but he must grieve in a way that suits him."

I breathe and smile. "I believe that is the first time you have truly acted as a big brother to me."

"Consider it the last time," Leidolf smirked. "I will take my leave, good day, Meili."

Leidolf leaves and walks towards our room, knowing that he is still there. Sigtrygrr sat next to Eydis' bed; she'd slept the entire night, and now, as the day had started, yet had not stirred. He did not want to wake her, so he waited patiently for her.

"You can get some air if you need it."

"I do not." He answered.

"How are you, Siggy?" I breathe before taking a seat next to him on the floor.

"I am well, and you?"

"She was your mother."

"I know who she was," he answered. his eyes were still swollen from his sobs. "I am fine."

"Are you sure?"

"Are you going to worry me, father? I am fine." Siggy stood up. "I will take some air. Please, get me if she wakes up."

"I will." I chuckled, noticing the arrogance in his voice was an exact replica of mine. "Do not stray far."

"Of course, not."

He was gone in seconds, closing the door behind him, leaving me eydis. Eira had gotten the best of her in the battle. Her ebony face was swollen, lips cracked and bleeding, not to mention she was weak. After a few minutes, she stirred, her eyes blinking slowly, attempting to open as she pushed up from the bed. She moaned painfully, and I helped her sit up, taking the rag to wipe her face. "Eydis," I whispered.