Chapter Three:

Eydis

Sleep comes easy for five days, but on the sixth my nerves had the best of me. I woke as usual around the dawn of morning, bathing and cleaning my chambers. It was said his son was to return to Jutland. I scoot across the wooden floors pouring the hot water into the tub and await the other slave for my soap, flowers and dress.

The door swings open. Audhild seemed to float in. Her smile eased my tension as she made her way over to me humming a slight mournful tune beneath her breath. "Morning Eydis."

"Audhild, morning to you. Has there been any sign of King Meili?"

"He has gone to plan the raids of the spring with King Finehair and Erik the Red."

It never seemed to surprise me how much she knew of the whereabouts of the King. Audhild served Eira and the Brother of the King, Leidolf. I never met him. But from the mouths of the others I was told he was the nicer of the brothers. Meili has been gentle and kind to me, I could only imagine Meili was a ball of cotton rather than warrior.

"During the raids what will I do?"

"If you are lucky, you will travel the seas. Hear Thor's anvil thunder with the skyline full of lightening and witness the awe of his power."

"And if I am not?"

"You will remain in your chambers, serving the queen and her children with me."

"I wish to serve here."

"It is not the way of the Danes to be a coward. You should crave to see blood spilled by you."

"I am no Dane, Audhild." I whispered. "I am not from here."

"Embrace the Gods." She whispered. "Forget you know anything else." Audhild moved around the chamber taking jewelry from her bag and the soap. "Bathe my friend. Today you meet Siggy."

"The son?"

"The only son of King Meili." She smiles. "He is a sweet boy, his heart not from his mother or his father."

"There are talks of him not being blessed by the gods?"

"Non sense." She answered. "Dress yourself, speak nothing of the rumors you have heard. Be seen and not heard always. It will keep you alive. I shall return."

"I have a question." My heart strums at the thought of asking anyone but truth be told she was the only I trusted at the moment. Other servants were jealous with envy or angry for some reason I did not understand. "I am to serve the king."

"We all serve the King."

"I am to lay with him."

Audhild moves the fallen piece of blonde hair from her face and tosses the soft pink flowers into the bath. "I have heard."

"I have never," I paused. My fingers instinctively twiddle around one another. "I have never slept with another."

"Sex is sex." She paused. "I am the bed servant of Leidolf. Unlike Meili, he married an older woman. She bears no fruit, therefore there has been no reason to sleep with her other than his duty to her as a husband."

"Then why does he lie with you." The strange ways of these people baffled me.

"I am to carry his sons, as you are to do for the King. Sons are important."

"What am I to do once they are born?"

"Live. I doubt you find love with him." Audhild pauses. "But through him and his power you will find comfort."