Chapter Fourteen

Eydis

The fall chill had returned to Jutland and so had the gods hand in dousing the leaves a perfect hue of orange and browns for miles. I sat at the top of the hill with my hand at the top of my round pultruding stomach and I tossed the slice of apple in my mouth. These months had become easier as Meili left me alone most of the time and I was alone with just Audhild mainly. It was odd how we'd come to be such close friends.

"Geoffrey has intentions to buy me." Her words ring odd to me as I never thought of her as a slave. "Leidolf is to return in the next week and he will give him his offer.

"A new owner."

"He intends to set me free and for us to travel to his first home in Ireland." She giggled looking down at Geoffrey, her eyes danced with something I had never had the pleasure of experiencing, adoration. He waved at her and she smiled over at me. "Is he not perfect?"

Geoffrey was a handsome man, short hair and well-polished, it was different from every other man that surrounded him. I clasped her hand. "He is perfect. The men in England must all be polite and courteous. Do you miss Leidolf, ever?"

"Leidolf was a very kind man as well, but it was never in his intentions to make me his wife. I was to be slept with when his wife or Eira did not wet his cock. It is not like that with Geoffrey, he cares about me and for that I am eternally grateful."

"What do you mean, Eira and Leidolf?"

Audhild covered her mouth. "It is not my place to say but it is well known that Chieftain Leidolf has held an affinity for Eira. They were close friends and it is well known that Leidolf has bed many women, the Queen included.

"Good to know." I laughed, but the notion of the thought did not surprise me, nor did it make me feel sorry for Meili either.

"What names have you thought of for the baby?"

"Erik." I say with a smile. "ruler." I whispered.

She smirked. "How fitting for him."

Meili had found us, I could tell by the trudge of his boots through the mud behind us. He cleared his voice and immediately Audhild stood from the ground and presumed a bow. Meili gave her a small nod and she left us sitting there. "Eydis, you walked up this hill?"

"No, I crawled." I laughed and watched as he squinted his eyes at me. "I wanted to see the sunset King Meili, and I swear I will be back down, no worries." His hand rubs over my stomach, I sighed as I watched the small bump glide over moving his hand. "That feels like his foot, he is kicking you."

Meili chuckled. "Well, he is a very active one isn't he? I would rather you not be in the cold at night, without a guard. Had I known you were coming here I would have sent Thorsten or Geoffrey up to make sure you make it down."

"I can walk." I answered. "I like no one around me sometimes, it's a privilege I have not had in a while."

"I want to be with you for the next few nights, it would seem that the time is closer than we thought." Meili paused. "And then after he is born, you will have a hall of your own next to mine."

"I do not want to live in town, all those people and sickness that spreads. I wish to be away from the city and I wish to live in the hall you placed me in before. I wish to take Audhild with me and Thorsten."

"You are very demanding today."

"I am telling you my wishes, so that you can consider them before you make plans of your own. I do not wish to see your Queen sulking and consistently berating me and my child. I want a peaceful life. What do you say?"