Chapter Sixteen

Meili

The ceremonies in Uppsala were standard. The Gothar was to bless Erik beneath the blood moon and then festivities. I settled in our temporary hall, set for the King. I tossed the furs to the side of the bed and looked over to Eira. "This week, you are free to behave as you like with whomever you like." I swallowed and watched as Eira's eyes widened. It was rarely allowed her to step outside of the confines of our marriage, but in Uppsala, we were to be Vikings, free in every form.

"Meili." She hesitated to answer, but the subtle rush of happiness was there. "I will not take another to bed."

"I want you to, and as we both know, it will be my brother." I shrugged. Their sneaking around shocked no one, including me. Leidolf's infatuation with things that didn't belong to him did not stop at my wife, but the crown upon my head as well. If he was busy fucking her, he wasn't a threat. "While we are here, you are free."

"Fine."

"Good. Go find him, send Eydis and Thorsten to my hall." I waved her out of the room and waited. Thorsten was an enemy, a dangerous one because his adoration was not for a wife he could not have... but my concubine. Things had to change and change quickly.

"King Meili." King Harald called from the entrance. He stood in his brightly colored clothes; unlike the other King's, he valued fine silks and jewelry. It was his display of wealth, even though his presentations meant little to me. His wealth was just a small portion of what I worth.

"King Harald," I gestured to the seat. "Take a seat."

"I cannot. We have all brought forth a sacrifice, an honoring for the gods... every great King but yourself... we are now wondering who will you bring forth?"

"I have several slaves on this journey with me. I'll send one."

"It cannot just be a slave. I have brought forth my dear friend, others even their family. These sacrifices determine how the gods will anoint us."

"Harald."

"Meili, you are a leader. We expect your sacrifices to be great." His eyes cut into me. "The gods have favored you the most, the least you could do is offer them someone of worth."

"I'll take your stance into consideration." I groaned. "If there isn't anything else..."

"There isn't." Harald leaves without a word.

I knew what was expected of me. I had already considered the sacrifices, Harald was right. The ceremony was too important to not be a person of meaning.

An hour passes before Eydis appears first cradling Erik in her arms and per usual smiling. The love I'd grown to have for her was potent, it flooded me through and through. Yet, there was still a part of me that didn't believe she was honest with me about Thorsten. "Siggy and Esme are taken with him."

"Of course they are; he is the future King of Jutland." The pads of my fingers swipe lightly over the arch of his brow. It is hard to not touch the child when he is in my presence. My perfect boy. "Erik, the fierce."

"We cannot give him a name he has not earned yet." She smiled. "What if he is agile? Noble?"

"He is a son of Meili, he will be fierce."

She exhaled and swayed with him, the flow of her copper red dress matched the dressing Erik wore. She was becoming a great seamstress. "Any son of Meili is fierce?"

"Of course," I smirked.

"Then why is it you treat Siggy as if he is not first to inherit the throne?"