{3}

Chapter 3 - Metanoia

The journey of changing mind, heart, self or way of life

After only 4 months of living in Seoul, it had become quite obvious that I was heavily pregnant, the prominent bump on my stomach being a dead giveaway.

As I walked down the streets people would stare at me in disapproval, some parents even going as far as to cover their children's eyes as if seeing me would corrupt their childhood innocence.

"Don't even acknowledge that they exist, stupid prudes." Hana would mumble darkly, clutching my hand tightly in hers which just caused people to stare even more and judge more intensely.

How could I do that when they were literally all around us?

"S'kinda hard when their glares are literally piercing holes through my body. Anyone would think that they've never seen a pregnant woman before!" I huffed moodily, pulling my shawl even tighter around my body as it had suddenly dropped a little colder than usual, a clear sign that autumn and winter were looming, ready to replace the sunshine and hot spells with thunderstorms and torrential rainfall.

Honestly, I was kind of happy for the summer to be over with.

"The standards of this place, huh? Back home no one ever gets involved with other people's business, it's just common decency! Oh, how eomma would scold them all and give them a piece of her mind." Hana chuckled fondly, pulling me in the direction of the apartment which was now thankfully fully decorated and homely.

I could tell that being away from her family was affecting Hana but whenever I asked her about it she would harden up, brushing the subject off as if she felt nothing towards it at all.

She didn't know that I could hear her crying some nights, pleading for forgiveness from her mother who she had ran away from without so much as a goodbye.

She had sacrificed everything to help me.

"I'm so glad the lift is working, you're getting too far on to be climbing staircases. Heck, i'm going to have to buy you a wheelchair at this rate, look how swollen your poor feet are!" Hana nagged persistently as if she were my mother as we stepped into the doors of the strange-smelling lift.

"Stop nagging, it's annoying me. I'll do whatever I want and there's nothing you can do about it." I huffed, crossing my hands over my swollen chest like a moody teenager.

Everything about me was swollen, even the small things such as my fingers and toes.

My body was unrecognisable, even to me, the owner of it.