{21}

Chapter 20 - Ephemeral

Lasting for a very short time

The milestone came much faster than I had ever wished for it to do so. Most mothers, including me, feared the event and dreaded it more than anything but I had been reading articles from other mothers that said that it could also be a very beautiful moment too. It had been looming over me for weeks that it was coming and I had been preparing like crazy, dashing around like a headless chicken in order to get everything ready for the big day.

Dawon's big day actually, her 1st birthday.

"My girl is so big already! How on earth is my baby already 1 year old? This can't be real!" I had exclaimed rhetorically as I woke Dawon up, tickling her stomach and grinning widely as she giggled uncontrollably. Though she certainly didn't understand why the day was such a big deal, I had invited Namjoon, Taehyung, Sphynx, Yoongi and Hana over to have a little get together. You could even call it a celebration.

Dawon was getting closer and closer to confidently walking by herself and it was heart-warming to see her walking a couple of steps before falling back on to her bottom. No matter how many times she fell she would always get back up and try again which led me to believe that she was going to be stubborn. I wonder where she gets that trait from.

"Where's my birthday girl?" I heard Taehyung call from the front door as both he and Namjoon let themselves in as I had instructed them to. By the time I had entered the living room, Dawon had already reached both men and was clamouring for Namjoon to pick her up. With a fond smile, Namjoon bent over and carefully lifted her up so that he could kiss her forehead, chuckling as she gurgled against his skin.

"Hey you two, was the drive here ok?" I asked as I made my way to the kitchen, planning to make coffee as I wasn't feeling particularly energetic. That had become the norm, me not feeling up to anything until I had a mug of coffee. Somehow it had turned into a habit of mine.

"Oh it was fine Minnie. You know Joonie though, impatient as ever. I'm definitely going to have the sound of the car's horn permanently engraved into my brain by the time i'm 30." Taehyung giggled as he joined me in the kitchen, leaving Namjoon and Dawon to spend some time together in the living room. I laughed along with him and nodded, only being able to imagine how annoyed Namjoon gets whilst driving.

"You have an indicator, why the hell don't you use it asshole! Look at this, who on earth gave you a driver's licence?" Namjoon groaned as we drove down the road, a frown taking over his usual peaceful features. It was the first time he had ever driven me anywhere as he had only just got his licence and had wanted me to be the first person he drove around with.