Part 3: Raman

"Hello beta, how was your first day?"

I loosen my tie and keep the bag on the chair, "It was good ma, I met the new students, they were really nice."

"Thank God, I was getting worried. Come sit here, I'll give you a head massage."

"No ma please don't bother. I am fine."

"Raman, you know I don't like repeating myself. Come and sit here."

I quietly crawl at ma's feet.

"Some thing's bothering you, isn't it Raman. You know you can always tell me anything right."

"How do you always know when something is wrong ma?", I asked stunned.

"After all, that is what a mother is there for son, she always knows when something is wrong with her children

"After all, that is what a mother is there for son, she always knows when something is wrong with her children."

I smile, "Actually, there is indeed something. Today I met a girl in school. She's a student in the new class. Her name is Ruhi. Ma, you know, she really resembles Rinky. When I saw her talk, at one moment I was shocked. She looks totally like Rinky, the same chubby cheeks, the same glistening eyes and she even speaks the same way that Rinky does."

"Hmmmm, really?"

"Yes ma. And she even argues the same way that Rinky did. You remember how we used to call her little Hitler."

We both laugh.

"She is very nice and beautiful just like our Rinky. Ma, you know, I don't know why but I really miss Rinky today. I..."

At that very moment Simmi opens the door and comes in. She greets us and asks ma to rapidly serve the food. I now realise  that I have started to feel hungry as well. I freshen up and join them at the table.

After dinner, I sit down one the couch to read a book but on the bed, I am unable to sleep. Ruhi's face and her striking resemblance to Rinky's face and her mannerisms refuse to leave from my memory. I just stay up and finish the book.

The next morning, a full class of students await me. They are excited by what new chapters they would learn today. I decide to take them out of their stuffy classrooms to do a walk around the school areas and give them insightful information about the different plants and species around them . After some time, I feel someone pat me on the back, it was Ruhi. I had decided that I will maintain a distance with Ruhi, and it was all working fine until now.

"Yes Ruhi, is everything alright?"

"Yes Raman Sir, actually... I wanted to say thank you for yesterday. You helped me a lot in front of the class."

My heart suddenly melts. This feeling of gratitude from children is so beautiful to see and it is also sad to see how many children are today not grateful enough for others or for whatever they have. I am impressed by the upbringing she must be having,
"It is okay Ruhi. I did nothing great. I just supported you a little. Actually Ruhi you should never let these comments affect you, people will always have something to say, but if you think that whatever you are doing is right and is causing harm to no one else then you should never be scared to do it, okay Ruhi?"

"Yes Raman Sir. By the way Sir, I wanted to ask you about something... Don't you ever...?"

"Don't I ever what Ruhi, don't be afraid to ask me anything, I am your teacher right, I am right here to answer your questions and to help you."

"No Sir, let it be. I'll ask you some other time."

"It's okay dear, now go and join your classmates, we'll go in class in some minutes."

Ruhi rushes to meet her group of friends while I stand there and ponder what she wanted to ask me about.

A week goes on very quickly. It is a pleasure to teach this class, and especially students like Ruhi. She is a very bright child, has a reply to all the questions, and also very talented in various activities. For some reasons, I feel that I really want to meet her mother, or any one else from her family, to tell them about how well-raised Ruhi is as a child and how bright she is as a student.
But while the parents of everyone else have already met and talked to me, no one ever came from Ruhi's household and I am very surprised about that. I once wanted to ask Ruhi about it, but I did not because I thought that it might make Ruhi uncomfortable and she might be unwilling to provide me with an answer. Also, there are results day approaching in some weeks, and I may have a chance to meet someone from her family eventually then. For that reason, I agree on being patient.