Part 8: Ruhi

"Please Ishima, do not forget the date. I really want to win this competition."

"Okay Ruhi. I'll keep the date in mind. Good bye now."

Ishima goes to work and I start contemplating on ways of how me and Ishima might win the competition, considering that Ishima is already a very good cook.

The D day finally arrives. Ishima had a night shift today and she is not back yet. I get ready and the school van comes to pick me up. I see all my friends standing in the auditorium with either their mother or father and impatiently waiting for the competition to start.

As I stand alone, Jay approaches me and tell me, "So Ruhi, welcome to the competition. By the way, do you know that this is a parent-child competition right? How come you are alone, where are your imaginary parents? Won't they be here even today? Today's judges are not Raman Sir who will get easily impressed by your tears and a boring composition. By the way, look over there, the man talking to Richa aunty, he is my father. He is a very famous businessman, Mr. Sagar Singhal. What is your father's name?"

I start to feel very angry and want to scream at him, but then I remember Raman Sir's words that people will always have something to say to you, and you cannot spoil your mood because of the useless comments of someone else. I decide to silently go away from where I was standing.

Time for the competition to start was already close, but Ishima was not here yet. Has she forgotten today's date? Has she forgotten about the competition? What will I do now?

My friends and their parents get ready to take their position in front of their cooking counters. My friends and the teachers start gesturing me to take my place, but how can I do so when my mother is not even here. I hesitantly go and stand near the counter where my name is written.

"Ruhi, where is your parent? Only your parent is left for the competition to start", the judge Sir asks me.

"Actually, Sir..."

"Oh sorry, sorry I am late. Actually I got caught up in something."

"Are you her father Mr. Bhalla?"

"Actually no, but I am her uncle, her mother got caught up in something, and she told me to participate next to her. I am sure you will understand."

The judges agree on the nice gesture of Raman Sir. And I am beyond elated that he decided to do this for me, even if I didn't even tell him that Ishima is not here yet. But does Raman Sir know how to cook, how are we going to manage?

Astonishingly Raman Sir turns out to be an even better cook that Ishima. He started chopping the vegetables very quickly and precisely. I was swiftly helping him by bringing everything that he wanted and helping him to clean our counters quickly. In less than two hours we had prepared an extremely delicious chole bhature dish, and it tasted even better than it looked. It was beautifully decorated on a white plate with a special chutney sauce that Raman Sir managed to make in less than fifteen minutes.

At the end of the competition, the faces of the judges seemed very pleased when they tasted our dish. I knew there was going to be a tough competition between me, Jai and my friend Riya, because the judges also liked their dishes.
And when the winners were announced, me and Raman Sir's names were not even heard! Jay who won the first prize started teasing me when suddenly someone started announcing on the mike:

"I am sure you must all be shocked that how come Ruhi and her uncle's name are not in the winners list. Let me tell you something, today's best dish was that of Ruhi and Mr. Bhalla."

Everyone in the room started clapping loudly. Jai who was standing next to me started boiling with anger.

"But as you all know that today's competition was that of a parent and child, so it might seem unfair if they won this competition, but we want to give a special prize to Ruhi and her uncle. Please clap for them."

We were presented by a trophy which was even bigger than what Jai got. We also got numerous gifts from the judges. As everyone started congratulating us, I saw Jai asking his father to leave immediately.

After half an hour, me and Raman Sir went outside. I completely forgot about Ishima's absence when we suddenly saw her getting out of the car and running towards us.

"I am so sorry Ruh..."

"Stop Ishima, you always do that with me. You never attend any of my functions. I know you are busy with clinic and all, but Ishima, I am your daughter aren't I? Why do you always run so far from me Ishima. I try to understand and pacify myself everyday, but you always do that. I wish I could have stayed with Raman Sir, he is always here for me. Why can't I stay with you Raman Sir?"

I was really really angry today. Ishima always does this to me. Every year all my friends win the different competitions but I never win only because she is never present! She never remembers anything about me, she never does!

 Every year all my friends win the different competitions but I never win only because she is never present! She never remembers anything about me, she never does!

"Ishima, I wish I could live with Raman Sir and not you. Why aren't you my father Raman Sir?", I turn around Raman Sir and ask him.

And then, I see Ishima for the first time raising her arms in the air to slap me. I already closed my eyes and get ready to feel her hands on my cheeks, but she stops mid-way and instead runs to her car.

"Raman Sir, could you drop me home, please?", I tell him, shaking with fear.

He drives me home in silence and he agrees to stay with me until Ishima arrives home.