Part 21: Ishita

Today is the first time ever since I opened the clinic that I had to ask for the help of an assistant during a dental intervention. After seeing me in this saree, all my colleagues are already teasing me and now they keep asking me where my attention is. How do I even tell them that no matter how much I try, I can't stop my mind from thinking about him and his words. I even had to transfer 2 of my appointments to my colleague, because I definitely cannot concentrate and need some alone time.

What even happened yesterday? Why isn't my mind at peace ever since he said that he wants to meet me today? What will he say? Am I overthinking? But, the way he seemed troubled yesterday, the way he said that he doesn't want us to leave,oh my, it broke my heart. How do I tell him that even part of me does not want to leave that house, or maybe does not want to leave him. Why am I feeling so much for him?

The way he came into my room this morning, I know he did not come to tell me the address he already texted me once again. The way he kept looking at me, I thought I might never stop blushing, how I could just have rushed into his arms dying with embarrassment if he wouldn't have stopped. Don't lie to yourself Ishita, didn't you wear your best saree just for this meeting, just to allure him? You two live in the same house Ishita, you see him every day!

Ishita, I tell myself, admit it, you're having feelings for him. It is the first time after Akshat that you're allowing yourself to feel for someone else, he's special isn't he? But, are you ready for this? Do you remember how many men have tried to approach you and how you've never allowed anyone in your life, and how most of them have backed off when they learnt about Ruhi. But, it feels different with him. But are his feelings even mutual?

I leave earlier from the clinic. I reach the restaurant, amazing choice Mr. Raman! It's a beautiful one which has an amazing ancestral feeling to it with the large vintage paintings and carvings on the walls. It's reddish lights and paints make it look cut-off from the modern world. I am accompanied by a waiter to the table he has booked for us. I do not miss to hear the soft ghazal music that fills the air.

I get lost in my thoughts again. Are amma's words true that maybe he might be the one? Will I say yes if he asks me for the thing that I'm hoping for? How will I voice all that's going on in my head? Just then, I see a silhouette appear in front of me and I smile and lower my head immediately. "I was waiting for you", I tell him as he pushes the chair to sit. I raise my eyes to look at him and...

All the colors fade from my face. My blood freezes. I look disgustedly at the one sitting in front of me.
"Oh, you were waiting for me?", he says with this evil grin on his face that I cannot stand. I attempt to leave but he holds my palms tightly on the table with his hands. I see some waiters turn around to us and I decide to sit so as not to create a scene over here. I am not the previous Ishita who needs to be so affected by his presence, I know his words won't affect me now.

"You have grown so much Ishita. You're such a beautiful woman now." He tries to run a finger on my shoulder but I shrug immediately.

He raises his eyebrow and says, "oh so you've learnt how to retaliate as well now. I like it. I like it so much. It makes me want you even more. I know you still remember..."

"Shut the hell up Akshat! What the hell are you doing here? Leave my hands! Get out of here!", I fume at him while trying hard to free my hands from his clutch.

"Ishita", he lowers his head and tells me, "I miss you so much. Ever since I left, I keep thinking about you each day, you and your body... I want you back in my life, like we used to be."

This time, instead of being angry, I start laughing. It is today that I'm finally having the chance to see how pretentious he and his words are. He still has the audacity to believe that I will run back to him and accept him after all he's done to me. I cannot stop laughing at his stupidity while he keeps looking befuddled at me. I manage to free my hands and I simply leave from there, I hear him call my name, but I do not turn around. I reach the car where my eyes start to fill with tears and I see Ruhi calling me on my mobile.

She wants me to take her shopping today so she can buy supplies for school next week. I decide I also need a break from what just happened. I pick her up and let her buy a new bag and new shoes and her school supplies from the hypermarket. When the shopping is done, I take her to the car and tell her to sit in the car while I place the bags in the back seat. Suddenly I feel someone's hand on my shoulder. I turn around.

"What do you want, Akshat? Are you following me? What is your problem?"

He grins, "oh no, no Ishita. I'm not following you. I'm just curious actually, I see you with someone else, who is she?"

My heart skips. I quickly jump in front of the window to hide Ruhi from his view. My heartbeats start racing and my breaths start getting heavy.

"Why are you sweating so much?", he asks while trying to wipe the beads of sweat off my forehead but I push his hands away. He starts to move closer to me and with the grin still on his face, he says, "Is she your daughter Ishita? Or, is she our daughter?", and he starts laughing.

A scream leaves my throat. I grab him by his collar and with all the strength in my body, I push him on the car next to mine. "You better shut your stupid mouth. She is my daughter. Only mine! Not yours, never yours!" I don't care how many people are watching us around, and I slap him, thrice. I make sure that he will remember the sting from the slaps for his whole life. I rush in the car and drive to Raman's house to pick all of our things before reaching our house. My body continues shaking and Ruhi keeps asking me what is wrong but I am not in a state to tell her anything. After Ruhi goes to sleep in her room, I go to my bathroom and cry and scream my heart out under the shower. I sleep almost immediately when my head hits the pillow.

The next morning I wake up when I hear the doorbell ring in the house. I open the door to find the courier man. He smiles at me and asks me to sign a paper before handing me a brown envelope. I rip the envelope open and find an official document inside. I find Government of India as the title and the next thing I read pauses everything around me. I stop breathing. I don't hear anything around me. I feel nothing.

I fall to the floor flinging the paper as far as I can from me

I fall to the floor flinging the paper as far as I can from me. How is this possible? How could you do that, how could you do that Raman?! I trusted you! I let my body lie on the floor, I let my tears drench me. I don't have the strength to lift myself up. How could you file for an application for the custody of Ruhi Raman, how could you?