Part 7: Ishita

"Ishima, did you speak to Raman Sir? I hope he did not get angry and he gave the permission to let me stay at home", Ruhi tells me as soon as I reach home.

"Ruhi please give me some time, I just returned home, didn't I? I went to meet him and he said it is fine but you need to continue to do all the revision and all your homework as you used to do at school. Okay?"

"Yes Ishima. I definitely will. By the way, will you stay at home with me during this week, I will get so bored alone and especially with the plastered foot. Please Ishima?"

"Ruhi, you know very well how busy I get during the holiday seasons. I have a lot of appointments to attend to this week Ruhi, but I will see if I can take a day off by next week."

She dejectedly nods. I also feel guilty, but I am compelled because I already have a tight schedule because of the two month of holidays of the other dentist at my clinic.

In a few days, Ruhi seems to be finally better. She tells me that her leg is hurting less and even tries to take baby steps around the room.
On Tuesday, I enter to find a house full of noise and shouting of children.
I enter Ruhi's room to see a group of her friends in to see her and Ruhi was sitting on the bed and someone was making her drink her soup.

"Good afternoon, Mr. Raman. It's a pleasure to see you here", I hesitantly tell him.

"Oh hello, Ishita

"Oh hello, Ishita. I am sorry but Ruhi insisted that I feed her myself. Her friends really wanted to meet Ruhi so I brought them to your place, with the help of some students who knew where she stayed. I hope you don't mind. By the way Ruhi, I will have to leave you for some time while you chat with your friends, I need to borrow your mother for some time."

I wonder what he has to tell me. It is somewhat strange to find him at my place and feeding my daughter with his hands, but I think about the time when he helped Ruhi so much and smile," oh no, I do not mind at all. Ruhi was getting bored and I'm glad you brought her friends along. She is very happy."
He smiles.
"By the way you wanted to speak to me? Is there anything serious, why don't we go in the kitchen?", I tell him already a little worried about what will he tell me about.

He silently walks behind me as I lead him towards the kitchen. I tell Sheela to prepare something to drink for us, while he starts to take something out of his bag.

"Ishita, actually I don't think you remember but today was Ruhi's reports day."

I think about today's date. Ruhi had reminded me some days earlier about it, but I completely forgot about it. After the appointments, I had to rush to Dr. Maya's to ask her about Ruhi's recovery and it completely slipped off my mind.

"It's okay if you could not attend, I thought you might have been busy with Ruhi and all, so I brought the reports for you here. Mrs. Ishita, I am pleased to tell you that Ruhi came first in her class this year. She worked brilliantly in all her subjects and she only needs to do a little more effort on History, otherwise it is an excellent result."

A wide smile forms on my lips. This was the first time that Ruhi came first, previously she was always stuck in the second or third position. I feel so proud of my little angel, and unconsciously a drop of tear falls off my eye. I quickly wipe the tear off, slightly embarrassed by having to cry twice in front of her teacher.

"Thank you so much Mr. Raman. Ruhi undoubtedly worked hard, but you also have a great role in her results. By the way have you already told her about it?"

"Her results come from great love and an even greater upbringing from you Mrs. Ishita. And I don't think her academic result is her most praiseworthy achievement to be honest, her character is even more beautiful than that. I have not informed her about her results yet. I was waiting for you to come back. Why don't we both go and reveal that to her, Ishita?"

"Sure Mr. Raman. Why don't you go first and I'll join you in some time?"

He nods and proceeds upstairs to Ruhi's room. I remain seated on the chair and contemplate on what he just told me. 'It is all a result of my love and my upbringing' , but how do I tell him that I find myself incapable of giving love and a great upbringing to my daughter that I love so much. How do I tell him how much I have kept Ruhi away from myself for so long? How do I tell him how I have deprived my Ruhi of her Ishima's real love for so long. The daughter that is making me proud at every step, is the one that I am keeping away from myself the most. How do I tell him that I am not the type of mother that he thinks I am? I am not a good mother at all. Not at all.

Warm tears start streaming down my face and I go in the bathroom to wash my face before heading to Ruhi's room.

In the bathroom mirror, I catch a glimpse of my face. How perfectly I camouflaged myself behind the mask of a strict and a nonchalant mother, and how no one knows how big of a secret I hold behind that mask of mine.

Ruhi almost jumps with happiness when Mr. Raman tell her about her results.

Before he leaves, he tells Ruhi, "Ruhi, I am sure you will get absolutely fit in two weeks' time. The school has organized a fun day after two weeks. There are many activities and even a parent-child cooking competition, which I want you and your mother to attend to, and I am hopeful that you will excel in that in the same way you have excelled in your results."

All her friends greet Ruhi before they go and Ruhi hugs Mr. Raman tightly before he leaves. He only nods and smiles at me before he proceeds outside.