Part 13: Raman

"Raman, your mobile is ringing. Come and see who it is."

"Yes Maa. I am coming."

It is Ishita. How come she is calling me so early in the morning? Is everything alright? I pick up the call and walk to my room.

"Hi Ishita."

Her voice trembles when she greets me and tells me to come and meet her for lunch at a nearby restaurant.

I wonder what she has to tell me about. Maybe she wants to tell me something about Ruhi or what happened yesterday.

At 11:50, I reach the restaurant, but she is not here yet. After sometime, I see her enter and try to look for me. She is wearing a dark blue saree and as soon as she sees me and sits down, I tell her, "the saree really suits you Ishita, you look ravishing."

She lowers her eyes and hesitantly blushes, but her expressions quickly change to a stern one.

"Raman, actually you must be surprised on why I have called you to come and meet me here. Actually, first of all I want to thank you for staying with us yesterday and especially for always being here for my daughter."

I look at her expressionless. Is this why she has called me here? To tell me this?

"She has grown very attached to you since the first day that she got to know you. And today morning, she-umm-asked me for something... "

"Asked you for what Ishita? You know you can always tell me right?", I ask her after she abruptly pauses while talking.

"You know Raman, my daughter has never directly asked me for anything. But, yesterday-you were there when I promised that I will give her whatever she asks me for. And...today she stated her wish and...I do not know how I am going to do it and how I can fulfil the wish she asked for."

I start to sweat a little. What has Ruhi actually asked that Ishita is so anxious to voice?
"What is it that she has wished for Ishita, please tell me."

"YOU! She has wished for you. She wants you to come and stay with her, with us and that you be part of our family!"

"Ishita. Ishita. Do you realize what you are asking for right now? Do you realize that?"

I look at her and she nods.

"It is true that Ruhi and I have developed a bond with each other over time, but that does not mean that I should come and live with you. You barely know me. How can I even agree to such a thing? How can I Ishita?"

"I understand Raman. I cannot even believe that I am even asking you for such a thing to be honest, but Ruhi asked me for one thing for her birthday and it was you. I could not think straight after that and without even thinking I simply dialed your number. "

There was a brief pause.

"I understand all of that Ishita. But-but, how can I come and stay with you and for what reasons? Ishita, please be realistic right now, stop thinking from only Ruhi’s point of view. Will you even be able to accept me in your household, please think about that too. It is not that easy."

"Raman, I agree it will not be easy at all neither for me nor for you. But all I know right now is that my happiness lies with Ruhi and if she is happy, I will be happy too. I know it seems so stupid right now, but I am not asking you to settle forever, maybe you can come at my place for some days. I will make a pact with Ruhi. For some days, please, please, I beg of you, only for Ruhi."

"Okay, let's assume, I come and stay with you

"Okay, let's assume, I come and stay with you. But what if Ruhi ends up getting more attached to me? How will you stop her if her exigencies increase? If it was possible, I would have done everything for that child, she is that precious Ishita, but what you are asking me for right now is... "

She lowers her head.

"Even if I agree right now Ishita, it will be difficult for me to leave my house, my mother and my sister all alone and come to live with you. They need me as much as I need them. The decision is in your hands Ishita. I understand your dilemma, I would not want Ruhi to be heartbroken either, but it will be difficult, umm, unless-"

"Unless what Raman?"

"Unless, perhaps you could move in to my place. That way Ruhi will get a chance to stay with me and she will also get the love and pamper of my mother and sister. But you have to take the whole final decision, it all depends on you."

But, she does not give me an answer. She simply tells me that she will call me back and leaves. What was I thinking when I abruptly told her to move in with me? What must she be thinking about me? Did I tell her to come at my place only for Ruhi or somewhat because I also want her to come as well?

...

"Thank you so much for your help. Here take this as your tip."

"Please do not bother. I would have paid him."

The taxidriver that helped them takes the money and leaves.

"It is okay. Thank you for your call. I was getting worried. I hope you had no trouble finding the house. By the way, welcome my baccha. How have you been? Are you excited?"

Ruhi rushes into my arms and gives me a long tight hug.

"I have been doing great Raman Uncle. I did not sit down even once as soon as Ishima told me that we are going to come and stay with you. Thank you both of you for giving me this amazing gift. Thank you Ishima. By the way, why don't you come and  join in the hug, please come here."

"Ruhi, it is getting late nah bacha. We have all the luggage to carry upstairs. Let us go now please."

I take hold of the heavy suitcases and lead both of them to the lift. I press the elevator button up to my floor, or our floor should I call it-18.
Maa was astonished when I told her that they were going to come today. But she asked no further questions and rapidly started preparing for their arrival as soon as Ishita called late in the night and confirmed their arrival.
A garland of marigold flowers is already hanging at the doorstep and I feel slightly embarrassed when I see Maa start welcoming them with an aarti platter. Both of them touch her feet before taking their first steps into the house.

I can see Maa's eyes already welling up with tears when she takes Ruhi in her lap and starts talking to her. I leave the suitcases in their rooms and when I come back, Ishita is missing from the hall.

I catch a glimpse of her standing in the balcony

I catch a glimpse of her standing in the balcony. Her face is buried in her arms. It is evident that she is crying.